Adding button to Craftsman garage door opener

Old 08-06-17, 02:05 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Adding button to Craftsman garage door opener

Hi all,

Using a craftsman garage door opener, model 139.53918.D which has the smart wall control with the temperature/time etc. I've got that hardwired in but am looking to hardwire an additional button (883LM is the model of the button).

For whatever reason, even when remove the old button, the new button I connect blinks steadily, but after many presses, will not control the garage door opener. Ultimately I'd like to have both buttons connected but for now am just isolating the new button to try and get it working. Anyone have any ideas on why the opener would not accept the new hardwired button? Did I buy the wrong button in the 883LM? I thought security type only mattered with wireless buttons, but maybe hardwired buttons are also very fussy about the type of opener's security protocol they have connected to?

I've tried reversing the wiring, unplugging the unit (though I do still have the battery backup connected), pressing the purple "learn" button, etc. The new hardwired button just refuses to control this door.

I'm thinking that the craftsman may have some sort of weird lockout system that denies even a hardwired button that it doesn't know access to the functions, but am not sure what I need to do in order to get this button working.

The button's manual does say it may take up to 3 presses to get the garage working once you push it, but I've pushed it way more times than that with no luck, though it does sound like some sort of logic is happening here to try and reconcile the button and the opener's signal when you push it.

Anyone have any experience with this? Could use the assist.

Much thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-17, 12:02 AM
Group Moderator
Received 514 Votes on 484 Posts
Did I buy the wrong button in the 883LM?
You may have. The instructions show its use for a particular series of openers.

Name:  883lm.JPG
Views: 217
Size:  31.5 KB

You should be able to use any generic type non illuminated doorbell button connected to terminals 1 and 2.

Old 08-07-17, 04:26 AM
Received 14 Votes on 14 Posts
Yep the 883 LM is not compatible with opener with a purple smart button... it's for the new yellow button openers. The reason is the new system is encoded, this prevents adding foreign pushbuttons and a shorted pushbutton wire from activating the door( meaning you can no longer touch the two wires together to activate the door)

Old 08-07-17, 10:22 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks everyone. Looks like I just made the mistake of buying a newer generation garage door opener button for my older purple learn button model.

I'm hoping that the older purple button means that I can use pretty much any button like PJ Max says with my model. I'm going to grab one of those and try.

Much thanks for the replies as always folks.

Old 08-08-17, 04:23 AM
Received 14 Votes on 14 Posts
Or you can buy the 888LM, it replaces your wall control. It acts as a new wireless receiver and you can connect your door(s) to your phone via a gateway plugged into your wireless router. You can still use old remotes or upgrade to the new security 2.0 remotes which transmit on 3 frequencies, this cuts through interference when you may have short distance with your remotes.