Help with garage door extension kit

Old 05-08-18, 09:24 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Help with garage door extension kit

Im looking to extend a 7 ft opener to a 10 ft opener via an extension kit. The opener I have is a Genie Revolution Series (Powermax 1500). Apparently Genie doesn't offer a 3 ft extention kit, only a 1 ft kit. Therefore does anyone know of any other brands that are compatible with Genie? A number of other brands DO make a 3 ft extention kit.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! I've spent way too much time trying to make this work..

Old 05-08-18, 11:04 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
I don't know of any. Many things between Chamberlain and Liftmaster seem to be interchangeable or at least very similar (same corporate owner), but I don't think so with Genie (owned by Overhead Door).

If you really need 10ft, I'd suggest selling what you have as a complete set and look at a brand that carries what you need, or even better makes a compatible jackscrew type opener. With a jackscrew type, less messing around with clearances and angles and such...though I believe they only work with sectional doors (not that I've ever seen a 1 piece that big).

Old 05-09-18, 10:04 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the input! After more research, I realized the 3 ft extentions I was seeing were for chain or belt drives.The Genie I have is a screw drive, and upon looking closer it looks like all screw drive openers, regardless of brand, only offer a 1 ft extention. I'm guessing there is a limit to what the screw drive mechanism can handle??
in this case it's either figuring out if a chain/belt extention can work as an extention for a screw drive, or just starting over (which is what I am leaning to).

Thanks for the help!

Old 05-09-18, 04:18 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
When you add length to a screw drive, the two sections of the drive need to line up perfectly straight. Any misalignment will cause the drive to seize up and get jammed. Probably why they only offer the smaller segment and why they do not recommend putting more than one on any opener.

What obstacle are you trying to clear at 10ft?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: