Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Replacing garage door and bifold garage door hardware

WI

10-09-17, 08:30 PM   #1 (permalink)  
Replacing garage door and bifold garage door hardware

I want to make a set of bifold garage doors. 16ft wide x 6ft 6inches tall. Just like a bifold closet door with two 4ft wide doors on each side. Anyone know where I could get the hardware to use for the track system? Cant seem to find anything anywhere thats already made for this.

Sponsored Links
Super Moderator

AZ

10-09-17, 10:22 PM   #2 (permalink)  
The reason is that most residential bifolds max out at 6' (4-18" panels). Here is a place that sells heavier duty stuff... Johnsonhardware.com Sliding | Folding | Pocket Door-Hardware. Bi-Folding Door Hardware Sure won't be cheap and you'll need to buy 2 sets for 16'. You'll also need to pay attention to weight and panel construction. You'll probably have to modify or fabricate brackets. If they open out you'll need to worry about wind and weather. If they open in, you'll have to keep the swing area clear. How will you seal against the elements?

I just have to ask....Why?

Vic
"I sometimes wonder how some people ever made it to adulthood..."

WI

10-10-17, 08:42 AM   #3 (permalink)  
The reason is because the garage is an old, short garage. If I put a standard overhead door on it ill loose too much height. and will be limited to only fitting cars in it. So I was trying to think of the best solution that doesn't cost $1500+. Its a house I only plan to own for less than a year and am going to put my tools and stuff in it while I work on the house. Not all that worried about sealing the elements out just more or less want to be able to shut and lock it and keep people/animals out.

WI

10-10-17, 08:48 AM   #4 (permalink)  
Looks like those will work. Had to edit this, I read over the sizing a little too fast. Thats pricey but at least its something thatll work. Thanks

WI

10-10-17, 09:14 AM   #5 (permalink)  
Cheaper Alternative to standard overhead garage doors?

Im trying to decide what type of door to go with. There was no door on the garage when I bought the house. The old door was an overhead that fell apart and garage just had a tarp closing it off. garage is old and only about 6 and a half ft tall. My truck wont fit in it with a standard overhead door. Ive looked into roll up doors but they are more expensive than I really would want to pay for them ($1500+) Was thinking of doing some sort of bifold just like a closet door. but does any one else have any other ideas?

Garage is only about a foot from the house on one side so I cant have a door that slides that way

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

10-10-17, 09:27 AM   #6 (permalink)  
How wide is the opening? I have used reinforced plywood and hinges to make double doors.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

10-10-17, 09:34 AM   #7 (permalink)  
Just read your other thread [no need to have separate threads] and see the opening is 16' which pretty much cuts out a double door unless you were to secure a post in the middle. As heavy as it will be I'm not certain a bifold door would work well.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Group Moderator

NJ

10-10-17, 10:15 AM   #8 (permalink)  
Same topic.............. threads combined.

~ Pete ~

Super Moderator

AZ

10-10-17, 03:32 PM   #9 (permalink)  
Plenty of barns have track that extends past one side. That would probably be cheap if you have some sort of farming supply nearby.

Vic
"I sometimes wonder how some people ever made it to adulthood..."

Search this Thread