Replacing garage door and bifold garage door hardware

Old 10-09-17, 08:30 PM
Replacing garage door and bifold garage door hardware

I want to make a set of bifold garage doors. 16ft wide x 6ft 6inches tall. Just like a bifold closet door with two 4ft wide doors on each side. Anyone know where I could get the hardware to use for the track system? Cant seem to find anything anywhere thats already made for this.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-17, 10:22 PM
Super Moderator
The reason is that most residential bifolds max out at 6' (4-18" panels). Here is a place that sells heavier duty stuff... Johnsonhardware.com Sliding | Folding | Pocket Door-Hardware. Bi-Folding Door Hardware Sure won't be cheap and you'll need to buy 2 sets for 16'. You'll also need to pay attention to weight and panel construction. You'll probably have to modify or fabricate brackets. If they open out you'll need to worry about wind and weather. If they open in, you'll have to keep the swing area clear. How will you seal against the elements?

I just have to ask....Why?

Old 10-10-17, 08:42 AM
The reason is because the garage is an old, short garage. If I put a standard overhead door on it ill loose too much height. and will be limited to only fitting cars in it. So I was trying to think of the best solution that doesn't cost $1500+. Its a house I only plan to own for less than a year and am going to put my tools and stuff in it while I work on the house. Not all that worried about sealing the elements out just more or less want to be able to shut and lock it and keep people/animals out.

Old 10-10-17, 08:48 AM
Looks like those will work. Had to edit this, I read over the sizing a little too fast. Thats pricey but at least its something thatll work. Thanks

Old 10-10-17, 09:14 AM
Cheaper Alternative to standard overhead garage doors?

Im trying to decide what type of door to go with. There was no door on the garage when I bought the house. The old door was an overhead that fell apart and garage just had a tarp closing it off. garage is old and only about 6 and a half ft tall. My truck wont fit in it with a standard overhead door. Ive looked into roll up doors but they are more expensive than I really would want to pay for them ($1500+) Was thinking of doing some sort of bifold just like a closet door. but does any one else have any other ideas?

Garage is only about a foot from the house on one side so I cant have a door that slides that way

Old 10-10-17, 09:27 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
How wide is the opening? I have used reinforced plywood and hinges to make double doors.

Old 10-10-17, 09:34 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Just read your other thread [no need to have separate threads] and see the opening is 16' which pretty much cuts out a double door unless you were to secure a post in the middle. As heavy as it will be I'm not certain a bifold door would work well.

Old 10-10-17, 10:15 AM
Group Moderator
Same topic.............. threads combined.

Old 10-10-17, 03:32 PM
Super Moderator
Plenty of barns have track that extends past one side. That would probably be cheap if you have some sort of farming supply nearby.