Garage door opener won't close

Old 11-12-17, 05:03 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Garage door opener won't close

My garage door opener won't close and I'm out of ideas

I've read most everything I could find online, but nothing has been helpful.

I have a Genie Medallion IMS1000/B (unsure of how old since the previous owner installed it). Basically, it will open just fine, but it won't close. The motor won't even attempt to close.

Couple of other things to note:

- If I press & hold the wall remote, nothing happens.
- I've double checked the sensors. They have a solid light
- When the door is opening, the unit is unresponsive to additional remote presses (e.g. it won't stop running if I press the remote again, it just continues to open all the way up).
- If I disengage the door (e.g. pull the red cord) and press the remote, the opener will just continue to run indefinitely. It is unresponsive to additional door presses.

Reading older threads, it seems that I may need to replace the circuit board, but unsure if thats the case.

I was wondering if anyone had additional suggestions of what to look at?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-17, 05:20 PM
D
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I've only worked on a few openers. Was there a brown/black out recently, something that made the clocks flash 12:00 constantly?

Old 11-12-17, 07:12 PM
G
We have killed the power a few times for unrelated issues, so it's likely it lost power. Also, because we needed to lower it, we have disconnected it from the wall power

Old 11-12-17, 07:24 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,201 Votes on 1,111 Posts
This should be the manual for your unit. On page 31 it discusses the safety beam diagnostics. Apparently if the beam malfunctions.... you can't just hold the wall button to close the door. You have to disconnect the beam sensors and then hold the button to close. The remotes and wireless keypad won't work.

genie company/data/products/retail/screwdrive-install.pdf

Old 11-12-17, 10:45 PM
G
Thanks for the info. I'll disconnect the sensors and see if it will go down.

Old 11-18-17, 03:07 PM
G
I unplugged the sensors from the unit (verified since the LEDs on the sensors turned off) and unfortunately the door didn't go down when I held the wall switch down

Any other ideas?

Old 11-18-17, 04:42 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,201 Votes on 1,111 Posts
That would point to a defective control board.
On it is two relays to control the motor..... one for up and one for down.

Old 11-20-17, 12:08 AM
G
So I should replace the entire control board, or can I buy just the relay?

Old 01-04-18, 12:47 AM
G
Wanted to ping this thread...any advice on what part I should buy to try and replace this?

Old 01-04-18, 09:00 AM
M
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Wanted to ping this thread...any advice on what part I should buy to try and replace this?
If you're comfortable with working on electronics and soldering, then I say go for it. The relay should be clearly marked, so you may be able to find a perfect match. If not exact, you shouldn't have a problem finding a suitable replacement. Post a picture of the relay here if you want some help. Digikey is a good place to look for electronic components. However, before doing so, I would test to see if the relay is actually the issue. Relays are pretty robust, so it could be something else that is at fault, in which case it would probably more sense to just buy a replacement board. Also, if the down relay is at fault, the up relay is likely close behind, so a new board would probably make more sense.

Found one on eBay for less than you'd pay for one relay with shipping...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genie-Medal...4383.l4275.c10

Old 01-20-18, 12:57 PM
G
I'm comfortable soldering, but honestly, I don't know what the relay is. I should have jumped on that circuit board (I waited too long). How do I know the exact version to get?

Also, I see two circuit boards...how do I know which one to replace? I guess I'm struggling because I don't know exactly what's broken.

Old 01-23-18, 10:53 AM
M
Can you post a picture of the circuit boards? I simply googled your opener model and that is what pops up as the control board. Match up what you have and swap it out.

Old 01-24-18, 11:29 PM
G
I took a picture of just the model number on the board (at least that's what I think it is). I can take a picture of the board as well if needed:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/4AINOq8zzJmTZnQ82

Old 01-25-18, 07:31 AM
M
That doesn't really help. What I meant is, search the internet (e.g. eBay) for the make/model of your garage door opener and see which control boards show up. Then visually match what you have and buy that one. This looks similar based on the close-up you posted: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genie-Garag...UAAOSwAC1aPsoZ

Old 01-26-18, 05:06 PM
G
Got it...I'll give that a shot.

Hopefully I pick the right control board (since there seem to be two on the unit).

Old 01-27-18, 12:14 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
You don't have two control boards. Look at page 5 of the link to the manual in post #6 by Pete. You have a receiver board and what they call a sequencer board...the sequencer is the actual control board and has the larger multipin connector or possibly several connectors. It should be the one to the left when looking at the rear of the unit.

Old 01-30-18, 10:29 PM
G
Thanks Gunguy...your response definitely makes sense, and you're right it's on the left.

I guess what I meant to say is whether or not the control board is the actual thing that's broken. But I'll find a new one and try and replace it.