Insulating a small shed in Tahoe

Old 11-27-17, 05:33 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Insulating a small shed in Tahoe

Hey, I am thinking about going some basic insulation in a 8x12 shed I just built. I was thinking about using some rolling tech foil but in white so I could just leave It exposed. However, I have read this is not good insulation for this application.

What type of insulation would you recommend for a shed and is there anything that would work if left exposed to the inside of the shed (preferably white)?

thanks a ton!

Old 11-27-17, 05:47 PM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
Why does it need to be white?
What's the shed going to be used for?
https://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm...sulation_table

Old 11-27-17, 05:51 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
It was partially mentioned..... Tahoe, California..... I believe.

Old 11-27-17, 07:11 PM
J
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
It’s just used as my workshop and will be very cold in there this winter. I have a little space heater with thermostat are i will use when in it or going to use it, but would like It to retain some of the heat. Kids use It as well for messier projects that they can’t do outside due to snow.

As for white, it just makes everything brighter and easier to see without needing a lot of light.

Old 11-28-17, 01:44 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Never heard of Rolling Tech Foil but this came up in the search, is this similar to what you had in mind?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/UltraTou...FQYrTwodl_8MbA

Old 11-28-17, 08:54 AM
R
Received 67 Upvotes on 52 Posts
I like the white idea also. I have always painted every inch of my garage and sheds white because I have found that unwanted critters avoid the nooks and crannies more with a bright color and the ones that don't are very easy to for anyone to see in advance, especially youngsters.

Old 11-28-17, 09:11 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
While a thin rolled insulation will be a dramatic improvement it's R value is still pretty low. You'll bring your shed walls up from R 2 to maybe 3 or 4. So, percentage wise it's a huge increase but it's still not much if trying to keep it warm with a small space heater. If the shed has stud walls how about a traditional rolled batt insulation. You would then cover it all with luan or peg board sheet for protection. That could get you up to R15+ which will make it much easier to heat.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: