Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Garages, Garage Door Openers, Work Shops & Sheds, Breezeways and Carports
Reload this Page >

New extension springs overpowering door (weighed door, got matching springs)

Old 11-23-17, 08:01 AM
C
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post

Door weight: 110 lbs, measured using bathroom analog scale
Old extension springs: green, so 120lb rated. One of the pair had some distended coils, so the door was no longer balanced, and the motor could not open the door more than a foot off the ground. Motor could easily close the door from the fully open position, as you would expect from worn out springs.

New springs: Home Depot Everbilt 110lb springs (white color code)

With the new springs, the door was not well balanced, and if I let go of the door (disconnected from motor) from the midway point, the door will roll up, accelerating as it goes to a forceful hit at the end of travel. I lengthened the cable that goes around the pulley that connects to the spring by several inches, and the door balances a little better, but still wants to roll up aggressively if let go near the 3/4 point of upward travel. With door fully closed, springs are 64" long; max spec for these springs is 67".

With motor connected, from fully open, door lowers ~1ft then reverses; if I give assistance at the point at which it stops/reverses, it will travel to w/in 1ft of ground, at which point it will stop/reverse. With assistance at this point, I can get door to travel the remaining 1ft to ground. From fully open, if I hold button down, it still stops ~1ft into its travel.

Does this sound like a clear case of too-strong springs? The reviews of these springs at Home Depot show a number of complaints about the springs being too powerful. Or do the symptoms I described indicate the springs are close enough that it should work within the adjustment range for travel limits and up/down force of the motor?

Any recommendations for extension springs that are true to their rated weight? Or should I go to 100lb springs of the same brand (Everbilt)?

The other strange thing here is that this is a two car garage, and the other door has yellow springs (130lb rating) and the door opens/closes just fine. No idea what brand those springs are. Maybe the motor has quite a large adjustment range (I've never played around with motor adjustments, so I don't know). The opener is the Craftsman 1/2HP 139.53960SRT.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-17, 08:46 AM
Received 169 Votes on 154 Posts
If the original springs were green and rated at 120#, why did you buy white?
Skip the motorized operator completely until such time that the door is balanced and can be closed, opened and hold at about half way manually.

Points to look at.

Are all the wheels rotating freely?
Are all hinges tightly screwed down onto the door? They tend to loosen overuse.
Are the tracks firmly anchored to the garage framing?
No lubrication on the tracks, just the wheel bearings or rollers interiors.

If all that is correct and you can't get it to work, then call a garage door company and ask what the correct spring weight and color should be for the door size, material (wood, metal or fiberglass).

Throw us some pics of your set up.

Old 11-23-17, 12:29 PM
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
The springs should be pretty slack when the door is in the up position with almost no tension on them when the door is horizontal in the full up position. See if that adjustments help in anyway.

I only experienced problems once, had a broken spring on a customers door. Checked the color - "Blue" and went out and bought blue springs. installed them and had the door go full open as soon as I tested it. Realized after the fact that there are "blue" springs and "Light blue springs" - returned for the light blue and everything was fine.

Would suggest going on a website to get the weight of your current door. Even though you weighed it manually, it may in fact be different from what you think it is.

Old 11-23-17, 02:41 PM
B
Received 58 Votes on 51 Posts
Height of the garage door is another factor in getting the correct spring as a 8 foot high door stretches the spring an additional 6 inches compared to a 7 foot high door going from full up to full down. Make sure your spring is for the height of your door as well as the weight,

Old 11-24-17, 03:25 AM
Received 15 Votes on 15 Posts
How much did you stretch the springs to hook up the cables when you were installing them. with the door fully open and even with the header you should be stretching the spring about an inch or two from the relaxed position. Those springs could also be mislabeled as 110 pounders. count 20 coils on old spring and measure, then count 20 coils on new spring and measure... should be close to same measurement

Old 11-24-17, 06:47 AM
C
Originally Posted by Norm201 View Post
If the original springs were green and rated at 120#, why did you buy white?
It's a two car garage, and this door has green springs and the other door has yellow springs, so these aren't the original springs, and the garage door opener and the current green and yellow springs were installed by the prior owner of the house. Given that we had worn out green springs and functional yellow springs, I figured I'd confirm door weight by weighing it. Since it weighed 110lbs, I got 110lb springs, which seem to be too strong, so if I got green (120lb) springs from the same manufacturer, those would be far too strong.

Old 11-24-17, 06:50 AM
C
Originally Posted by czizzi View Post
The springs should be pretty slack when the door is in the up position with almost no tension on them when the door is horizontal in the full up position. See if that adjustments help in anyway.
That's how they're set up - I can hook in the s-hook with just a little bit of effort.

Originally Posted by czizzi View Post
Would suggest going on a website to get the weight of your current door. Even though you weighed it manually, it may in fact be different from what you think it is.
I don't know who made this door, can't find a label on the door.

Old 11-24-17, 06:54 AM
C
Originally Posted by beelzebob View Post
Height of the garage door is another factor in getting the correct spring as a 8 foot high door stretches the spring an additional 6 inches compared to a 7 foot high door going from full up to full down. Make sure your spring is for the height of your door as well as the weight,
7' door, so these springs are fine with respect to door height. Also, as noted earlier, when fully closed, springs are 64" long vs max spec of 67".

Old 11-24-17, 03:33 PM
C
Picked up 110lb springs from Lowes (Blue Hawk brand). Works fine - door is balanced at the halfway mark, as well as at 3/4 and 1/4 marks.

I should have heeded the many reviews for the Home Depot (Everbilt) 110lb springs that claimed the springs were out of spec (too strong). Interesting that you don't see those complaints for the Everbilt 90lb and 130lb springs (the adjacent sizes), only for the 110lb springs.

Old 11-24-17, 04:00 PM
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
Glad you have resolved you issue with the springs and have documented it for others to read.