Insulating attached garage

Old 12-08-17, 10:41 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Insulating attached garage

I have an attached 1 car garage to the side of my all brick ranch. My wife and I have turned this into a workout area. We are considering insulating for use in the winter with a space heater, we live in Canada.
My question is, is this advisable to insulate a garage which will only get heated during the winter while in use, ie 1-2 hours per day and then not temperature controlled at all while not in use? The garage was an addition by a previous owner, the common wall between the house and garage is brick and insulated from inside the house. I was looking to do the walls and attic with Roxul and vapor barrier, but not sure if this would be the correct application.
Thanks for any replies.

Old 12-08-17, 11:54 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
There's nothing wrong with your plan, at least in general terms. The only issue I see is it's going to take a long time to heat the space on a cold day.

Old 12-08-17, 12:47 PM
D
Even uninsulated the garage is noticeably "warmer" than outside, maybe just being out of the elements is the reason for it.

Old 12-08-17, 01:00 PM
Received 462 Votes on 430 Posts
With the common wall there will be some heat that gets into the garage, prior house had unheated but insulated garage and nothing would freeze, current house has uninsulated garage and every winter I have to move wax, yard chemicals, etc or they will get ruined.

Good thing with an exercise area it wont need as much heat, once you get moving!

Old 12-08-17, 01:54 PM
D
Even today the temp outside was 32, inside the garage with a very drafty garage door was 40. So once I replace the garage door and insulate I don't think it will be too bad to heat for an hour or 2 at a time. Just gotta find a decent heater.

Old 12-08-17, 05:11 PM
Received 80 Votes on 68 Posts
Consider infrared heating that will heat you and not the entire surrounding space.

Old 12-08-17, 05:41 PM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Unless the space is huge...just running a propane infrared tank top heater for 15 min will probably bring the temp up 15+ degrees. That's ONLY if you have some sort of ventilation other than the door. I use one in my garage and because I have no window, I crack the door slightly. This gives both top and bottom openings of over 200 sq in of ideal high/low ventilation. It makes the heater less effective if it's very windy or raining, but I'm not usually out there at those times. My garage is uninsulated on 3 sides, though it is sheetrocked. (Never understood the sense in that...spend the extra couple of hundred and do it right.)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: