both cables came off garage door rollers. will this work to fix?

Old 12-08-17, 06:53 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
both cables came off garage door rollers. will this work to fix?

Came home to find both cables completely off the rollers. The end of the cable that would slide into roller had popped out.

The door/rollers are from the 60s. The end that connects to the door itself isn't the standard loop, it's permanently attached to the door so trying to get the cable rolled back onto the roller with tension seems like my best bet.

Would it work (and be safe) for me to raise the garage door to its highest point, lock it in place with a pair of vice grips. Then loosen the bolt that holds the roller to the torsion spring shaft. Slide the cable end into the slot on the roller and spin the roller until the cable is taught. Then tighten the bolt so the roller is again attached to the spring shaft.

Then repeat on the other side/roller?

When I go to lower the garage door it should wind the tension back in the spring, right?

Old 12-09-17, 05:35 AM
W
Received 63 Upvotes on 55 Posts
Please provide specific info and photos of the make and model of the hardware.

Old 12-09-17, 12:59 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

There had to be a reason that both cables came off. Possibly a bound spring shaft. Even if your idea worked you would still need to adjust the springs for additional tension on the cables or they will come off again.

I agree.... pictures of what you are working with would be needed.
How-to-insert-pictures

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: