Garage door opens a foot and stops

Old 12-28-17, 01:36 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Garage door opens a foot and stops

Good afternoon all! Hoping for some help here. We have a craftsman 1/3 hp garage door opener pulling a double garage door. Recently, the door stopped opening once it was about a foot off the ground. We can disconnect and manually open the door, but it is VERY heavy and it will not stay in place. This leads me to believe it is a broken spring. The door is equipped with a Wayne Dalton Torquemaster system. One thing I noticed, is that the cable on the left side of the door seems to be misaligned.

I have attached some pictures. The first two are the left and right side respectively, when the door is open about a foot. The second two are when the door is closed.

Does the cable that seems to be misaligned have anything to do with the door opening? Or is it a combination of a broken spring and this? Either way, is this something I can fix on my own? I am not scared of taking things on, just trying to get some feedback.

Thanks all!

Attached Images     
Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-17, 04:23 AM
Received 14 Votes on 14 Posts
it looks like you have two springs in that door and more than likely 1 has broken. Although it can be repaired I recommend you have a door company upgrade it to a regular torsion system. the system you have is low grade. The cable on the left came off the high taper when the spring inside broke.