How to prevent peeling paint on garage door

Old 01-12-18, 10:01 AM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How to prevent peeling paint on garage door

We live in Southern California. House is 70+ years old and has a wooden garage door. Peeling has always been a problem with this door. I scraped and sanded it to bare wood 3 years ago, primed it with Kilz and gave it 2 coats of latex paint. It began peeling last year. Is there a way to prevent -- or at least postpone or minimize -- the peeling?

The door has no backing, and the backside hasn't been painted in decades. Would doing so help to alleviate the outside peeling, or would that simply provide another surface from which paint will peel? Would it help to put foam insulation or some sort of vapor barrier on the inside surface of the door?

Thanks.

Attached Images   
Old 01-12-18, 10:15 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Your paint will hold better if you use a quality primer, quality paint, and if you paint BOTH sides of the door, (inside and out) along with all edges. It looks like your door might be covered with tongue and groove planks, making coating all edges difficult (since you can't paint in between where planks meet, those edges can readily absorb moisture.) It's these unpainted edges and the unpainted backbside that is causing your paint to blister and fail so soon.

Regular maintenance can also make a paint job last longer. When you notice blistering or peeling, if you fix it quickly, the entire paint job will last longer. But if you leave it go, before long it will get worse and worse.

But realistically, no paint job will last forever. If you get 5 - 7 years out of it you are doing good... especially on top of an old paint job.

Old 01-12-18, 11:06 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I agree. If you can get it - use an oil base exterior wood primer otherwise a quality latex wood primer. then top coat with a quality latex house paint. You'll find better coatings [advice too] at your local paint store versus a paint dept in a big box store.

Old 01-12-18, 11:12 AM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the speedy and fast responses. Very helpful and much appreciated. I don't know why I didn't think of painting the backside of the door long ago.

Old 01-12-18, 12:37 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I don't know what the backside looks like but I've just sprayed a coat of poly/varnish on many of them - seals them up without much work, 1 coat is sufficient.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: