locking doors between garage bays?

Old 01-17-18, 03:23 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
locking doors between garage bays?

I have a rental property with a 4 car garage that was probably a carriage house in the past.

I reframed and sheetrocked the walls dividing each of the bays a number of years ago, and put in automatic garage door openers, but the thing I am worried about now is if the garage door openers fail you will not be able to access the garage bays. I want to install locking doors between the bays (so tenants will not have access to each other's vehicles, but in an emergency I can enter each of them without going through the overhead doors...

The fourth garage is mine, and no intended for tenant use and has an exterior door in the back. I use it for a workshop of sorts.

The other 3 bays are used by tenants.

So my question is: What kind of locking door can I install between the bays? I don't think a typical swinging hinged door would be appropriate as it may strike one of the cars, that may be parked there. I have been looking at sliding, barn style doors but am uncertain how to install locks/security to such a thing. (I think a pocket-style might be too much work than it's worth).

Any thoughts?

--Sean

Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-18, 03:56 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
How about something like this? It'll also get you in tp the garages in case of a power failure. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Prime-Li...2143/202633678

Old 01-17-18, 04:34 AM
Received 121 Votes on 111 Posts
How big are each stall? Can't you put an ordinary door in the far corner of each stall? Would that still interfere with a parked car? Is it possible to put a door on the back of each stall?

Old 01-17-18, 05:16 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 170 Votes on 151 Posts
I wouldn't think a 2' door would make contact with a car parked in the garage and as mentioned if it's placed near a corner there is less likelihood of making contact. .... and it's not like you'd just wildly throw open the door.

Old 01-17-18, 09:17 AM
Group Moderator
Received 319 Votes on 293 Posts
How about no doors? Since you might never need the doors what if you have a removable panel in the wall held in place with screws. If access is ever needed a cordless drill with the right bit could remove the panel pretty quickly. This would also save you from the possibility of losing the keys.