Garage Door Panel Alignment

Old 02-06-18, 11:15 AM
Garage Door Panel Alignment

Is there typically some lateral adjustability in garage door hinges to fix panel alignment issues? Some panels are out by about 1/4" one way or the other. I'm hoping they can be brought back into alignment. This is a Clopay 3-layer insulated door.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-18, 11:22 AM
Group Moderator
Sounds like either your pad isn't level or your tracks aren't plumb.

Old 02-06-18, 11:23 AM
Super Moderator
Basically, you'll have to remove all the bolts holding the hinge leaf in place, elongate the holes in the hinge slightly and re-install. There is a slight amount of play in the hinges, but nowhere near 1/4". Possibly, by loosening them all you could tap the panels into alignment, then re-tighten...but I kinda doubt it. I've seen hinges where the holes are slotted, but I don't believe Clopay uses those as stock.

Old 02-06-18, 11:33 AM
Thanks. Hopefully it can be fixed. Otherwise they'll be buying me a new door.

The hinges were crooked from the beginning, and the track is out about an inch one way or the other towards the top/back. Doesn't seem to be any binding.
Sounds like either your pad isn't level or your tracks aren't plumb.
Hadn't considered this. I'll check. Wait a minute, are you suggesting they may have had to intentionally mis-align the panels so the door sits flush against the slab? Oh lord.

Old 02-06-18, 12:23 PM
Super Moderator
I don't see how any issue with the slab could be corrected by misalignment of the panels? The 3 layer doors are extremely rigid and stiff...like a laminated beam and do not bow, even if they are the 1 3/8" doors. If they are the poly foam type, even more so. They won't conform to a domed or dished slab and the only option is to fix the slab or uses an oversized bottom seal...which is not ideal.

Maybe I'm not understanding, but I assumed you meant one panel is slightly left, the other may be slightly right...so that the ends are not all flush?

Once the first panel is in place...the rest just sit on top of it and hinges are attached. The 3 -layer doors have undersized holes punched in the internally reinforced hinge attachment points and self tapping screws are used. If the panels are stacked in alignment, and stay that way as the hinges are screwed on, then all should be good. Of course the holes in the door, once tapped, need to stay there, but the hinge holes can be modified slightly.

Who installed it? If it was a garage door company who deals in Clopay doors, not just some subcontractors, then you have plenty of recourse.

Slight problems in the rails are compensated for by the rollers sliding in their mounts...as long as you don't have a parallelogram.

Old 02-06-18, 02:11 PM
Group Moderator
Maybe I'm not understanding, but I assumed you meant one panel is slightly left, the other may be slightly right...so that the ends are not all flush?
And I was picturing them being stairstepped... one 1/4" left, next one 1/4" left of that, etc. They might do that when the pad is not level but the tracks are plumb.

Old 02-07-18, 02:22 AM
Clopay has alignment hinges designed for their overlay doors, contact them or a local dealer and they should be able to help. If you have a step bit you can enlarge the holes/ slots and tap the sections to line up

Old 02-07-18, 07:28 AM
That is correct

The top panel is about 1/4" to the left, the next two are essentially in-line, and the bottom one is shifted about 1/8" the other direction. It appears to be a poor assembly job.

Who installed it? If it was a garage door company who deals in Clopay doors, not just some subcontractors, then you have plenty of recourse.
A certified Clopay company installed it. I have asked the builder to get them back out to correct it. I was more or less curious if the hinges could be skewed one way or the other to correct it. Sounds like that is a possibility (by making the holes larger).

Clopay has alignment hinges designed for their overlay doors, contact them or a local dealer and they should be able to help.
Curious what these alignment hinges are. Do they have elongated holes for more adjustment?

Here is a pic of one of the hinges. All four hinges on the top panel are skewed like this.

Attached Images  
Old 02-08-18, 03:35 AM
An alignment hinge keeps the panels from shifting so it will not help you. Sometimes Clopay mis punches the pre punched holes in the door sections or the sections vary in length which seems to be the case here. The installer is either inexperienced or lazy. This can be fixed by removing the top two 7/16 tappers and loosening the two lower 7/16 tappers and straiteng up the hinge, tighten the bottom two back up and drilling new holes in the top two slots.

Old 03-26-18, 07:33 AM
Thanks. I'm assuming this is what he'll do when he comes back out.

Question on window frame clearance. Because I have a high lift track installed, the window frames on the top panel rub against the weather stripping. Turns out Clopay has a solution for this, which is a dual radius track. I have asked the installer to install this track so the window no longer rubs. He is trying to charge the builder full price for the install, which I think is BS since he didn't install the proper track to begin with, but that's between the installer and the builder.

Anyway, as an alternative, I was wondering if flipping the uppermost roller bracket on the top panel would be a possible solution and solve the rubbing issue. The hope is that by doing so, the door would pull away from the opening just a tad sooner and provide enough clearance. Is this possible, or is the only solution to install an appropriate track?

Last edited by mossman; 03-26-18 at 09:22 AM.
Old 03-27-18, 03:32 AM
They always rub. Clopay used to kick their track back earlier (sorry it's hard to explain in writing) with a short piece of high lift track to get the door away from the header so nothing would rub. Now clopay just uses an extended vertical track so it pretty much goes straight up and the windows rub. I would suggest your installer remove the top flap on the vinyl seal and then install a header seal on the top section. Or he can maybe drop the hinges down one size depending on how bad it's rubbing. Or he will have to cut the vertical down, install a short piece that kicks the door back and away from the header (not an easy task)

Old 03-27-18, 05:54 AM
Looks like the hinge is not plumb. Check the angle between the wheel axle pin and the track. Should be 90 degrees.

Old 03-27-18, 06:29 AM
Looks like the hinge is not plumb. Check the angle between the wheel axle pin and the track. Should be 90 degrees.
Several of the hinges were installed like that. They will be straightened. My question now is the window frame rubbing against the weather stripping along the top, and whether flipping the upper roller bracket on the top panel would be a simple fix (to make the door pull away from the opening as soon as it begins to open). The alternative is to get the proper track for this style door, which the installer wants to charge full price for plus labor, even though it's the track he should have installed to begin with.

Old 03-28-18, 07:51 AM
I stumbled across what is referred to as a "quick turn bracket", which is primarily used for low headroom installations. However, it seems like these could potentially work for my installation. The bracket is hinged and the rollers sit up higher, so the door is pulled away from the header more abruptly. Worth a shot--they're only $25/set.

I went ahead and bought a set of these brackets. They'll be here Friday. I'll post back with the outcome. Fingers crossed.

Last edited by mossman; 03-28-18 at 08:28 AM.