GDO does not go down all the way when button pushed

Old 02-16-18, 10:25 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
GDO does not go down all the way when button pushed

Near new Craftsman Model 3043 or 54918.

This problem just started. If the door is closed, you can press the remote or the on-wall control panel button and it will travel all the way up. But if the overhead door is open and you press the remote or the on-wall control panel button, it will travel a small distance then reverse or not travel at all; then it will flash the motor unit light 9, 10 or 11 times and show this in the control panel screen: Momentarily obstructed, error code 4-6. I have checked for obstructions and there just are none. The beam appears to be aligned. If the door is up and you hold the on-wall control panel button down, the door will travel down all the way. Just clicking the on-wall control panel button results in a short travel and return or no travel at all.

I'm wondering what to do next. Could this be a short in the sensor wires?

AND, how to apply a work around until the problem is found and corrected. I have to be able to close the overhead door with the remote.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-18, 02:41 PM
Received 33 Votes on 28 Posts
your description indicates the UP limit circuit and/or the motor reversing switch needs adjustment to continue providing voltage to the motor after you release the manual switch or remote. Adjustment procedure should be in your owners manual.

Old 02-17-18, 04:27 AM
Received 11 Votes on 11 Posts
Are the eye sensors mounted on the track? watch the LED light closely on the receiving eye (Green ) if it even flickers at all when the door is going down, the opener thinks there is something in the way

Old 02-28-18, 06:05 AM
Received 17 Votes on 17 Posts
Does the door move up and down freely when it is disconnected from the operator?
Geo

Old 02-28-18, 10:53 AM
Group Moderator
Received 374 Votes on 351 Posts
We haven't seen the OP back here in a while.

Like doorman stated..... the problem is the door sensors. The system will allow you to manually close the door by holding the button in. This tells the system that you know there is a problem and are bypassing the safety sensors.

Old 03-30-18, 12:48 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
operating inconsistently

I did adjust the sensors and it seemed to be working properly and consistently for a while. Now it has begun acting inconsistently. One morning I noticed it was stopped about 18" off the floor. It was open this amount overnight apparently. Another cycle or two and it went down properly. Then a couple of days ago it stopped at about 1 panel down and reversed and gave me 11 flashes. I pushed again and it went down to about 18" from the floor, reversed and flashed about 11 times. I pushed again and it stopped about halfway down, reversed, and gave me about 11 flashes. Each time it also gave me error 4-6 temporary obstruction, I pushed again and it went all the way down, and it has continued to do this for the last 3 or 4 down cycles.

Old 03-30-18, 02:53 PM
Group Moderator
Received 374 Votes on 351 Posts
Disconnect the door from the opener and make sure it opens and closes smoothly. You may to reset the down pressure setting.