does this describe a bad capacitor?

Old 03-15-18, 07:02 AM
P
Received 11 Votes on 11 Posts
does this describe a bad capacitor?

Genie SD9500 1/2 hp screw drive opener

I know this is a very old unit but I figure it has been reliable until now so if I can fix it for a few bucks, it seems to make sense..

When I press the button, the motor hums for a second or two and then stops. I tried spinning the motor by hand when I pressed the button and it spun just a little on its own but could not open the door. After that playing with it, it now buzzes once and then stops and buzzes a second time then stops completely No movement from the motor. I suspect the capacitor because I see corrosion at the capacitor terminals and because the motor is not starting but appears to try to start.

Am I missing something in my evaluation of the unit? Does it sound like some other problem or do I just jump in and get the capacitor? If I need the capacitor, what kind of store sells them or do I just shop online?

- Peter

Old 03-15-18, 07:19 AM
M
Received 16 Votes on 11 Posts
Sounds like a bad capacitor to me. One of these would likely work. Just need to identify your capacitance (50-60MFD or 70MFD): https://www.geniedoor.com/product-ca...ie-capacitors/. Check eBay for cheaper prices.

Old 03-15-18, 01:17 PM
P
Received 11 Votes on 11 Posts
I replaced the capacitor and all is good now. thanks for the input. Bought locally from a Genie dealer for $26. Available online for less but then I would have had to wait.

- Peter

Old 03-16-18, 07:17 AM
M
Received 16 Votes on 11 Posts
Awesome. Glad you got it fixed! And thanks for posting the outcome

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: