Shed Ramp, 15" off the ground

Old 03-19-18, 10:17 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Shed Ramp, 15" off the ground

Shed is 16x12 and raised 15" off the ground on cinder blocks. I would like to be able to drive a Poulan riding mower in there this year. Any ideas, suggestions tips, instructions? Thank you!

Old 03-19-18, 10:33 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 383 Votes on 339 Posts
Build a wood ramp, 2x6 joists with either 1x6 decking or 2x6s on top. Leave a gap between each deck board for traction and drainage.

Old 03-19-18, 10:34 AM
Group Moderator
Received 853 Votes on 781 Posts
An ADA ramp has a slope of 1" per foot, which is very gradual. I would think that a mower would easily go up twice that without high-centering the mower deck on the threshold. So let's say you put a 2x8x4' ledger on the shed, then four 2x8x8' as the stringers. (that's <2" rise per foot) And a 4x8 sheet of 3/4" treated plywood as the decking. You would rest the stringers on top of the ledger and on top of the ground.

Mark them for plumb at the ledger and since they will drop down 7 1/4" when you put them in place, lay a 2x8 on the ground (standing up vertically so it is 7 1/4" tall) and mark the top edge of that to represent the grade (your cut line). Then cut the top plumb, the bottom to match the ground, and nail or screw them to the ledger. Use hangers if you like.

Of course putting the stringers on a concrete pad would prevent them from sinking, but you could also lay them on a treated 2x12 that you have dug down into the ground to spread the weight out. Make sure your treated wood is rated for "ground contact". It's a better quality of treated that will last longer.

Using treated 5/4" decking for the ramp would work too. It would look better but might end up costing more.

Old 03-19-18, 01:18 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thank you for your help guys!

Old 03-19-18, 01:43 PM
A
Received 72 Votes on 65 Posts
If this is the only door into the shed, I would do as Mark and X mentioned, and the slope mentioned would still be very walkable as far as you getting in and out and having a place to stand when latching and unlatching the door. If you have a separate man door, another option would be to buy a set of aluminum ramps like used with a pickup or utility trailer that you could slide in beside the mower and pull out as needed.

Old 03-19-18, 02:21 PM
Group Moderator
Received 853 Votes on 781 Posts
That's what my dad did on his shed. He has a couple stairs (glorified boxes) but pulls out a couple 2x8's as ramps. He nailed shingles to them for traction. (As if it needed that).

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: