Couple questions about shed joists / posts

Old 03-28-18, 08:42 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Couple questions about shed joists / posts

I'm about to build a 12x14 shed, just wanted a couple opinions on the joist layout. I don't really see a need to have any beams, like a deck, since a 2x10 will do 14'. So I was just going to make the base out of 2x10s, and have a footing on each corner. Or do I also need a footing at center front & center back?

Now, this will be built on a hill, with the backside much lower than the front, so I was going to have posts in the back. My question is, how do you secure these so the shed doesn't tip over? Does it require some type of bracing between the post and rim joists in order to keep it sturdy?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-18, 06:39 PM
I only mention the tipping over part, because when I was building my deck, the post bases did little to keep the post / beam assembly from moving around. It wasn't until I tied the beam to the wall of the garage when it felt sturdy.

Old 03-30-18, 07:10 PM
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
Pour your footings every 5 feet or so along the perimeter and down the center of your structure. Make them level with each other and before the concrete sets up, set anchors in the cement so that you can attach beams to them. The anchors will look like and "L" and have a threaded portion on the top side. You set them in the concrete. When cured, you lay 4x4 posts flat to the ground next to the anchors, mark the location and drill an hole for the anchor to go through. Bolt the 4x4's down on the footers set 5 feet apart and then set your 2x120's on top of them. Use sonotubes for your footers in the lower area so you can build up to the needed height. Post brackets are worthless for lateral stability as you found out.

Old 03-30-18, 07:32 PM
So, on the rear side (bottom of hill), have 4' (or whatever the height is) of sonotube above the ground to match the tube height of the front side? And when it's done there's a concrete column sticking out of the ground? Just want to make sure I have this right.

What is the 'beam span' of a 4x4? What about a 6x6? I've never seen those in the span tables.

Thanks.