Garage door horizontal tracks not level

Old 03-30-18, 08:43 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Garage door horizontal tracks not level

Hi I just had a $2000 insulated garage door installed yesterday and today I noticed that the top tracks (the horizontal ones) that the rollers travel in are not level at all. All garage doors I have ever seen before had level tracks, so I'm trying to determine if I should call the installers back out. What I mean when I say not level is that the tracks appear to be level with each other but from the garage door to the back of the garage, the tracks are angled upward enough that it's very easy to tell they're not level. If I had to guess I'd say the front of the tracks are a foot lower than the back where the tracks end. Maybe more. Is this a problem?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-18, 08:55 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I don't see how that's possible. I mean, there's an angle at the top of the vertical track that sets the angle for the horizontal. Or maybe it's built in to the horizontal...depends on the brand. My 7 ft door rises 1 inch as the tracks go back. I believe taller doors will rise more? How big is yours?

If the joints on all the track junctions are tight, then it must be correct. Does it operate correctly?

Old 03-30-18, 09:16 PM
Group Moderator
Received 605 Votes on 570 Posts
I agree..... the track is usually designed to only be installed one way and that is usually parallel to the door and the ceiling. Maybe you can post a picture or two of your setup. How-to-insert-pictures

Name:  tracks.jpg
Views: 1961
Size:  10.5 KB

Old 03-30-18, 09:17 PM
B
Your points are valid but for sure it's not level. If I was home I'd snag a pic and upload it, but won't be till Sunday. The door does seem to operate ok, though I don't have a motor on it yet, so just manually operating right now. It's a CHI brand door. 18x7. I did take a look at where the vertical meets the horizontal track to see if something looked odd, but I don't recall anything, and it seems to roll smoothly. But still very odd to me that it was as obviously not level as it was.

Old 03-31-18, 12:36 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
The only thing I can think of (other than that's the way these are made) is that either the vertical track isn't plumb, because the wall the door is in isn't plumb... or the ceiling isn't level causing the tracks to look like they slope upwards. They would have to be pretty far out for a 1 in 7 slope.

I didn't see any install manuals or anything at the CHI website, which would indicate they are for Pro install only. Never liked that about some companies (not just garage doors). Like they are trying to make it some sort of secret Guild knowledge only.

Old 03-31-18, 04:45 AM
B
I first noticed they weren't level because on one side it passes by a window that I know is level, and it's obvious that on the one side of the window the track is lower than on the other side. If that makes sense, so the plumb window sill made it stand out. When I get home I'll check for plumb on the vertical tracks. If they're plumb, maybe that is how they're made.

Old 04-01-18, 03:57 AM
Received 14 Votes on 14 Posts
For some reason, some installers do it that way. I do not unless there is a jack shaft style door opener mounted to the torsion tube, then you want the tracks pitched up to keep weight on the cables to prevent the cables from coming off. If you have a regular door opener that is mounted above you door then the tracks should be level. The rail on the opener should be slightly higher in the front and about 2-3 inches above the door when the door is open.( so if they drop the horizontals, make sure they drop the opener too). I don't know what type of door you have but in the Clopay installation manual it states "Horizontal track can be out of level up to 1" from front jamb to
rear track hanger."If they left you the manual look in there and see if it states the same. If you have a regular trolley style opener mounted above the door I would call them back. If they are a reputable company they will guarantee their installation.