Side Sensors?

Old 04-04-18, 06:52 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Side Sensors?

My garage is small to start with and then it has cabinets on both sides. So there is little room for two cars. I am afraid of scraping my right front fender on the wall of cabinets on the right so I would like to put in a IR sensor system along that right side. The standard safety sensors on garage door openings would do great but I need a way to have the interrupt signal that is normally sent to the opener control box sent to something that would flash a light or sound an alarm when the beam is broken because my fender is inside the IR barrier. Anyone here know of an adapter that would work?

Is there a product that does this? There are some for measuring front and back proximity but nothing for the side.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-18, 07:42 PM
Group Moderator
Received 517 Votes on 487 Posts
An IR sensor really wouldn't be much help.
A mirror looking down the cabinet row would be more effective,

Old 04-04-18, 10:51 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Interesting idea. The challenge would seem to be in the mounting device and the visual perception. It would have to swivel in order to set the angle of view for my specific car. It would have to be fairly large so my old eyes could clearly see how close I'm coming to the cabinets. I wonder if a tractor trailer mirror would work. I think they have a top and bottom mounting bracket and swivel. Probably wouldn't be cheap though.