Building a 12x16 Shed

Old 04-30-18, 08:26 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Building a 12x16 Shed

Hello All,

new to forums but am excited to be a part of this community. I’m building a 12x16 and live in Southern NH. I’m not an experienced carpenter but am handy and comfortable with power tools, this is my first shed. I’m using the below link as a guide...

https://www.construct101.com/12x16-s...-gable-design/

In my area any shed under 200 sq/ft can put on cinderblock foundations. My base will be the 2x6’s on four 4x4 skids spaced 3ft apart (not sure if this is overkill and I can do it on three 4x4 instead?). Going to be 16” on center for all framing etc. with 2x4’s.

Need help with the shed roof..... I want to have a 4ft overhang on the front (16’ long wall facing house, with doors) and am trying to figure out the best way to frame the roof. I have already ordered 2x4x16 because I was planning to build trusses but and wondering if a ridge beam and rafters may be better.

Option 1: build trusses that are 16’ long and 4’ high where the extra 4’ in length (remember the depth of the shed is only 12’) would create my overhang. I like this idea because I’d like to build an access door from the outside where I can slide ladders or extra lumber to sit on the truss above the stuff in my shed. Is this going to be too much work? Should I angle the roof where the too sides have different slopes? I’ll attach drawings later

option 2: put a ridge beam, install the rafters and then build the 4’ overhang.

Looking forward to some feedback

Attached Images  

Last edited by Fooraonfire; 04-30-18 at 08:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-18, 06:45 AM
Received 28 Votes on 24 Posts
Old 05-01-18, 02:05 PM
Received 33 Votes on 28 Posts
A roof peak centered on the building is most pleasant to the eye.. To offset the cantilever effect of the 4 foot overhang, I would install a 2x10x16 header under the trusses at the end of the 4 foot overhang. The header would sit on 3 posts ( each post is three 2x6 scabbed together with the center 2x6 shorter by 6 inches forming a pocket for the header. Create concrete piers for the posts to sit on. Make the pier height such that standard length 2x6s can be used only needing to cut the center one.