One piece garage door is crooked

Old 05-15-18, 06:06 PM
One piece garage door is crooked

Hello everyone, I have a one piece slide up garage door. For about a month now it has been rubbing up against one side of the door opening. No room on the outside, gap on the other side. Would anybody be able to help me with advice on how to get The door straight. Thx

Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-18, 03:12 AM
I don't know much about them. look for a broken spring or broken hinge.

Old 05-17-18, 04:20 AM
Is it a torsion spring or tension spring type?
Sounds to me it's out of balance.

Old 05-18-18, 09:35 PM
Not sure but it’s proba 40 yrs old

Old 05-19-18, 03:43 AM
A torsion spring is located at the front of the door at the header. A tension spring run along each side of the tracks.

Old 05-19-18, 01:09 PM
Super Moderator
I've never seen a 1 piece door with torsion springs. Only ones I ever saw had springs on the sides attached to the complicated looking lifting hardware. Matter of fact, seems like they were under max tension when closed? Made for some interesting events when they broke.

Been a long time, but I'd first check for loose hardware/attachment to the door or house. Then inspect springs for deformation.

Old 05-19-18, 02:55 PM
I've never seen a 1 piece door with torsion springs.
If it's a single car garage it would be common. But I agree a two car single door would be torsion.

The OP should 1st check the hinge bolts and see if they are tight. Then check the rail brackets it they are tight and in alignment. Then the usual balance exercise. Can the door door be lifted by hand without an opener? Can it be set at about mid point and not fall or rise? If it seems cocked then I'd look at one of the springs (be it torsion or tension) being broken or unwound. If so replace both.

Long before it became a law I always ran a safety cable through the tension springs in case they broke. It could decapitate a person if the circumstances were right.

Old 05-19-18, 04:58 PM
Super Moderator
Ray...not to harp...but is this a swing-up or tilt-up 1 piece door we're talking about (I assume)?

I know the OP said "slide up" not "swing up", but I've never seen a one piece slide up door. Sectional almost straight up the wall tall ceiling types yes , and commercial roll ups...sure....but a 1 piece? That goes straight up the wall?

A search for "one piece slide up garage door" returned nothing but the tilting type.

Old 05-19-18, 05:38 PM
I've never seen a one piece slide up door.
I've never seen one in the flesh, but I think they might be used in something like an airplane hanger where overhead being clear is important.