How to remove bushing from garage door opener motor mounting bracket?

Old 05-28-18, 06:26 PM
C
Received 30 Upvotes on 28 Posts
How to remove bushing from garage door opener motor mounting bracket?

This bushing is a pretty tight fit in the motor mounting bracket. This is the bushing that the shaft that holds the plastic gear that gets shredded slips through.

The inside of the bushing looks pretty rough. And I have the gear parts kit, which includes that bushing, so I figured I'd replace it, but have seen some mentions online that most people don't bother.

If it isn't a bear to remove/install, I'm game. But if it's a hassle, I'll just use some sandpaper to smooth out the old bushing.

Old 05-28-18, 06:34 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
Interesting. I don't remember having a problem getting it out. I've installed many of those kits but none in the last year. It's only brass or bronze and just tapped in.

Best to replace it if it's worn. Try tapping it out. Use a hard piece of wood to hit so as not to flatten the bushing.

Old 05-28-18, 06:48 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
I think I just pressed it out using an oversized socket and a C clamp. That and a shot of WD40. Easy peasy. You may need to smooth the edge with a file so it will slide through easy, your's looks a little buggered up in the pic.

Old 05-28-18, 07:08 PM
C
Originally Posted by PJmax
Interesting. I don't remember having a problem getting it out. I've installed many of those kits but none in the last year. It's only brass or bronze and just tapped in.

Best to replace it if it's worn. Try tapping it out. Use a hard piece of wood to hit so as not to flatten the bushing.
Thanks guys. Sprayed some WD40 on it. Will try the socket + C-clamp idea tomorrow.

Old 05-28-18, 07:34 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Just realized...the socket and C clamp my not push it all the way through since it will hit the bracket, but should give enough to just grab and twist it out.

Old 05-28-18, 07:39 PM
C
Originally Posted by Gunguy45
Just realized...the socket and C clamp my not push it all the way through since it will hit the bracket, but should give enough to just grab and twist it out.
That bracket isn't thick, so it should be pretty easy to pull out at that point.

Old 05-28-18, 08:08 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
Once you get it started you can pry against the flange with a screwdriver.

Old 06-02-18, 06:42 AM
C
I didn't have a socket large enough (like an axle nut socket), but I did have access to a vise, and was easily able to press out the old bushing and press in the new bushing.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: