Temporary structure in Mi.

Old 07-16-18, 10:56 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Temporary structure in Mi.

I need to put up a large shed in SW Mich. It's my understanding no permit is needed if it is on 4x4 skids and is 'moveable' making it a temp structure. Can anyone confirm this? Is there a maximum size? I'd like it to be 20x24. I will likely have a few more questions before this project is done, so I appreciate any help I can get here answering these questions.
Thank you.

Old 07-16-18, 11:10 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
You need to check with the authorities in your area. You did not say specifically where you are located so we cannot do that for you. You should check with both the Zoning Dept. and the Building Inspections Dept. They may allow temporary structures but may have a maximum size. The size you mention is quite large for a "shed" so I would check all the local zoning and building rules and regulations before starting.

Old 07-16-18, 11:19 AM
D
Specifically, Kalamazoo County. They have pre-made 'sheds' larger than 20x24 they sell openly around here. That company says as long as they're 'temporary' and on skids, they're able to deliver and drop them anywhere. My question is not so much size as spacing and locking down the 4x4 skids. The demo sheds I looked at seemed to be spaced at 2 feet. Just wondering if anyone was familiar with the codes for this type of project so I don't end up with any "inspector problems".

Old 07-16-18, 11:26 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Upvotes on 43 Posts
I'm over by Lansing (not in the city) and the rule here for sheds is up to 120 sq. ft. without a permit; doesn't matter if it's on skids or a real foundation.

Old 07-16-18, 12:24 PM
D
I checked that here, and it's 200 sq ft. max. but I'm not sure if that applies to skidded buildings.

Old 07-16-18, 02:20 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Im on local Planning Commission and never heard of "skidded" shed.

Our codes state structures so I would interpret to mean any kind of building!

So basically you would have two violations, one having a shed over 200 sq ft without permit and no foundation!

Better give them a call!

Old 07-16-18, 02:34 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 832 Upvotes on 729 Posts
Locally we are only allowed 100 sq ft without a permit. As mentioned above you need to contact your local zoning/permit office as they are the ones you have to satisfy!

Old 07-16-18, 04:37 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
You are considering a pretty sizeable structure. Big enough that most will no longer consider it a "shed". Instead they will probably be thinking detached two car garage. You really need to check the codes and zoning for your property before doing any construction.

Old 07-17-18, 02:41 AM
A
Received 73 Upvotes on 66 Posts
Not currently, but have been and probably will be again on the local planning commission as well, in Michigan, and although I am familiar with and have seen sheds on skids I have never seen and highly doubt you will find any exemptions for them. So even if one were allowed it would have to be code compliant as far as size, setbacks, number of auxiliary structures permissible, etc., and as mentioned, that you would learn from your local authorities. They may work out of the same location as your polling station or maybe not, but they're not that far away, are accessible, and very possibly have everything you need to know about sheds on a handout sheet.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: