Garage door goes up but won't go down - sensors are in alignment!

Old 07-27-18, 11:53 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Arrow Garage door goes up but won't go down - sensors are in alignment!

Garage door goes up but won't go down; Sensors are illuminated and both extremes of down force dial have been tried.

Model: Craftsman 139.53663SRT2

With the door in the up position or with the trolley at the motor unit end of the rail:
  • Momentarily pressing the button of either the remote or the wall unit the garage door or the trolley in the rail (if the garage door is disengaged from the trolley) attempts to move (meaning it is clearly receiving a signal), but will not travel from the up position to the down position. The ceiling unit will flash about three or four times, at which time, one can press one of the remotes or the wall button and it will attempt again to move.
  • Pressing and holding the wall unit button will lower the garage door all the way or move the trolley in the rail (if the garage door is disengaged form the trolley) all the way.

With the door in the down position or with the trolley at the front end of the rail:
  • Momentarily pressing the button of either the remote or the wall unit, the garage door or the trolley in the rail (if the garage door is disengaged from the trolley) moves from the down position to the up position. IOW, working properly.

Additional info:
  • Both sensors show a solid green LED which turns off if the sensor path is obstructed. If I put an obstruction between the sensors, the green LEDs shut off. The garage door problems don't occur in a different manner if the sensors are obstructed.
  • I have rotated the down force dial to both extremes and this has no effect on the condition.

The problem has been intermittent. It first occurred around six weeks ago and was persistent for about 4-5 days, at which time it abruptly fixed itself. There were no occurrences of the problem for about 5-6 weeks at which time the problem resurfaced and has been persistent for about a week. However, about midway through that week when the problem was persistent, it did work properly one or two times.

If anyone here has any ideas as to what I might try before hiring a repair company, please let me know. There may be something simple I'm missing.

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-18, 02:52 AM
Received 9 Votes on 9 Posts
If the light is flashing as you described, it's an eye sensor problem not a force problem. I have also seen the main circuit board cause problems like this. How old is the opener? It might be time for a new one

Old 07-28-18, 11:14 AM
Originally Posted by Doorman2722 View Post
If the light is flashing as you described, it's an eye sensor problem not a force problem. I have also seen the main circuit board cause problems like this. How old is the opener? It might be time for a new one
Thanks for the response. The system is at least 18 years old.

I'm having a difficult time understanding how it could be a sensor problem if the green LEDs are both on when unobstructed and turn off if obstructed.

Old 07-28-18, 11:26 AM
Group Moderator
Received 339 Votes on 317 Posts
The point he was trying to make is the problem is electrical not mechanical and because the lights are flashing that is a classic sign of a sensor issue. I carry extra sets of sensors with me..... not control boards. I swap in a new set of sensors just to make sure it's not the old sensors. You don't have to mount them..... just sit them pointing at each other on top of a ladder when connecting them.

Old 07-28-18, 02:13 PM
Originally Posted by PJmax View Post
The point he was trying to make is the problem is electrical not mechanical and because the lights are flashing that is a classic sign of a sensor issue. I carry extra sets of sensors with me..... not control boards. I swap in a new set of sensors just to make sure it's not the old sensors. You don't have to mount them..... just sit them pointing at each other on top of a ladder when connecting them.
Just to be sure I understand correctly, when you say light is flashing, you mean the light I described in my OP - the lamp on the motor unit, which flashes 3-4 times after I get a failed attempt at closing the door and not the light on the sensor unit(s). Correct?

Old 07-28-18, 03:11 PM
Group Moderator
Received 339 Votes on 317 Posts
Correct.... the light that lights up the garage mounted on the opener.

Old 08-06-18, 04:44 PM
After two weeks of not working, it abruptly started working. Does anyone have any clues what may be going on? Thanks!

Old 08-06-18, 04:49 PM
Group Moderator
Received 192 Votes on 179 Posts
I have seen something as simple as dust or cobwebs... the way the sunlight hits the eyes... interfere with the sensors.

Old 08-06-18, 04:51 PM
Originally Posted by XSleeper View Post
I have seen something as simple as dust or cobwebs... the way the sunlight hits the eyes... interfere with the sensors.
In a situation where the sun or a cobweb interferes with the sensor, would the LED be shutting off? Or are you talking about a situation in which the sun or a cobweb interferes with the sensor without the LED shutting off?

Old 08-06-18, 04:54 PM
Group Moderator
Received 192 Votes on 179 Posts
I don't know about the LED light, just the intermittent problem part. Seems like the light indicated good, but I can't be sure anymore. Google sunlight interfering with garage door opener.

The fix can be as simple as setting up a shade for the sensor that is in direct sunlight.

Don't know if that's your problem... just saying.

Old 01-30-19, 12:41 AM
Garage remote won’t close door

After reading an older closed post, I was having the same problem as described above. I replaced two different remotes and programmed them successfully, but still it didn’t work. The older posts I found corrected the problem. The answer is simple and so is the fix! I replaced both CFL lights in the Fall with LED’s and the LED bulbs emit a small RF wave which blocks the close door signal. I removed both bulbs and it works perfectly. You cannot use LED bulbs where or near remote door openers or antennas. Easy fix but a headache to troubleshoot.

Thank you Boldergeist for posting the fix back in 2009. It saved me $250

Old 01-30-19, 10:25 PM
Super Moderator
LED bulbs can indeed be used in GDO's w/o a problem. Certain types/brands can cause issues as did many of the old CFLs and first gen LED.

Chamberlain even has a list of ones that should be fine, Genie actually sells a special bulb...though I'd try one on the list first.

Chamberlain, LiftMaster and Craftsman (Sears) product lines, has specified which brands of LED bulbs can be used in its openers:
Bulbs Bulb model number Watts
Phillips 425256 40
ECOSMART ECS A19CW 60W E120 60
ECOSMART ECS GP19 W27 40WE FR120 DG2PK 40
CREE BA19-04527OMF12DE26-2U100 40
3M RRA19B4 60
Sylvania 72554 60
FEIT BPAG800DM-LED 60
FEIT R20_DM_LED 45

Sorry, can't get the formatting right. Last 2 numbers are watts.

Might check their website for an updated list.