Help me design my garage

Old 08-14-18, 11:34 AM
A
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Help me design my garage

We have an existing 2 car detached garage and want to expand the size. It's a 24 x 24 and we want to double the size. The lot won't allow us to widen the structure, so the expansion will have to go deep. Our vision of the building is 24' on the front with the garage doors and 48' deep.

And yes, we know it will be a pain to get a car out of the back of the garage, but it's the only way we can get more space.

The existing garage was built in the 60's and is a decent structure.

I have 3 options...

Option 1. Expand the building to the rear.

Option 2. The garage is a bit low and I'd like to raise the ceiling height some. So this option would be to lift the existing garage and add a course or two of concrete block to raise it up. Expand the building to the rear.

Option 3. Demo the existing and build a new structure.

One thing we're considering is to have a portion of the garage (one of the back corners) built as a greenhouse. Interior walls and glass/clear exterior windows and roof.

I'd enjoy your thoughts and comments!

Old 08-14-18, 12:22 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
My equipment garage is on the basement level of our house and about the size you want for your garage. Yes, it's a pain having to move something to get at something else but it's not that big a deal. The more frequently used stuff goes up front near the door and the seldom used goes in back. A key is not filling the garage with crap/stuff. If you have room to move and work it's quick and easy to get things out.

As for which way to build your garage only you and your wallet can decide. All new is probably the best since you can build exactly what you want but it's expensive. Raising the existing garage is an option but you have to look carefully to make sure all the work saving the old garage doesn't add up to cost as much as building new. Then there is just adding on. Probably the cheapest but additions like that tend to always look like additions.

Old 08-14-18, 12:26 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 832 Upvotes on 729 Posts
If I was to just add on, I'd prefer to do that on the rear. That way everything from the house/road looks more/less original. I agree all new would be nice! Be sure to get multiple bids for each scenario so you can make an intelligent decision.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: