Replace single garage door panel in NJ

Old 08-29-18, 09:45 AM
Replace single garage door panel in NJ

Hi folks, I am looking to replace one panel on my garage door that is beginning to rot. These are probably the original wooden doors for the house. This is also in a townhouse development. I’ve called about seven or eight garage door companies, and no one seems to sell this replacement due to its age. This is in Northern New Jersey, for you fellow New Jersey people.

Some of the contractors have offered to just replace the whole door, but the problem with that is it won’t match the other door. So I would probably have to replace both doors, which is way more expensive than just replacing one panel.

Anybody have any thoughts or tips, especially in this area of NJ?

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-18, 10:07 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I can't see much detail in those pics. Is it feasible to repair the damaged panel?

Old 08-29-18, 10:16 AM
Are you or the association responsible for the doors? Most condo associations control exterior features...

Old 08-29-18, 12:00 PM
Yea sorry about that. Iíll get a better picture and post it. If I had to guess, Iíd say they are wood doors, possibly somewhat hollow, and the outside is textured. I would love it if I could just sand it down and repaint, but I wouldnít lose the texture. Too bad I canít just remove the texture and put on a pandl if new texturing.

And even though this is a townhouse development, we are responsible for the garage doors. Most people just replace them with brand new metal doors.

Old 08-29-18, 02:10 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
They are probably masonite doors, they were real popular in the 80s. IMO steel doors are the way to go. They can be painted so if you just replaced one for now it wouldn't stick out real bad from a distance.

Old 08-29-18, 07:04 PM
Ok, I went over and took some larger resolution pictures. I posted them to Google at the website below, so hopefully you can see the full-res photos. Let me know if you can see them. Thanks!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Gy...CSe9tRUpfauyry

Old 08-30-18, 02:24 AM
They look like Clopay model 32A's I don't think They make them any more but you should be able to get a Brown Clopay flush panel door with exterior lock. It will look similar but not exact obviously.

Old 09-13-18, 09:46 PM
Holy moly, so I was able to find a person in the development that is buying new garage doors and they agreed to let me buy their bottom panels, which are in excellent shape! Now the question is will I actually be able to install the bottom panels on my own, or if I have to get a pro to do it.