Garage Door Opener Only Hums for a Second then Stops

Old 09-26-18, 05:31 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Garage Door Opener Only Hums for a Second then Stops

Genie Screw Drive Model H 4000-07/M

Itís 9 years old, so I almost replaced it last winter when it didnít work on very cold days. But I learned that was the grease ďfreezing up,Ē and now use a 3-in-One Garage Door Lube that comes in a spray can so itís obviously lighter than grease. Therefore I expect it will do fine this winter; it has worked perfectly all spring and summer.

Today I ďlubedĒ the wheels and axles on the track, and the screw drive, and it was working fine till it suddenly stopped when I was checking adjustments. It hums for about one second, or sometimes I get two consecutive one-second hums, then it stops.

The screw drive does not turn even when I have the door released from the drive.

I read in this forum to just wait 15 minutes, that the motor overheated and tripped the safety mechanism. But I have waited hours, so thatís not it. And my instructions say nothing about this, so I suspect I donít have an overheat safety trip.

Also this happened once before when a garage door company was installing a new spring, and the guy replaced what looks like the capacitor in the power-head diagram.

Based on the above, does it make sense that I would replace the capacitor? That when you overheat your motor you have to replace the capacitor? Thatís not a good product!

Also does it make sense that if it is the capacitor I burned up that it hums as it does? Or would that shut it down completely?

If I need to replace the capacitor, can I buy one somewhere like an Ace or Home Depot?

Thank you. I hate frustrating problems like this, and yet itís so rewarding when you solve them!

Peter

Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-18, 12:24 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Garage Door Repair Tutorial

I canít say this is complete or even accurate, but itís what Iíve learned.

First, the door will stop if it encounters too much resistance. For example, if itís coming down on your car. But if it needs lubrication, a lack of lubrication can be what causes too much resistance.

My neighbor fixed his door, which would only go down part way, by spraying some WD-40 on the rollers.

Now Iím using a 3-in-One Garage Door Lube that comes in a spray can for both the rollers and the drive screw.

I guess they canít heavily oil the drive screw of a new opener or it would run all over the box. So they use grease.

In the coldest part of the winter, the grease can become hardened and cause too much resistance. Iím hoping my lighter oil will solve that problem this winter. Though I should also note that I have seen YouTube videos touting grease as making the action quieter, something Iím less concerned about.

My opener also has two knobs to adjust for Close and Open resistance. You turn them all the way down, then back up just enough so that the door closes and opens.

If you test your door too many times, it can overheat the capacitor and I assume the motor. To protect against this, some openers have a safety cutoff that shuts the opener down. If your opener has one of these, you just have to wait 15 minutes till it resets. Iíd assume this would be in your operatorís manual.

Mine doesnít have one, and when I overheat mine it destroys the capacitor. This is what caused the problem I posted about above.

I got the part number of the capacitor from the opener manufacturerís website, and then ordered a new one from Amazon. It fixed the problem.

I hope this helps someone. Itís only based on my experience, and so I say itís not likely complete or even fully accurate. But it would have saved me hours!