Hi Lift Door Tracks

Old 10-03-18, 05:55 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hi Lift Door Tracks

As I build my shop I am planning on having two overhead doors. I have decided to have a 10'x10' door and a 9'x8' door. In order to maintain the same minimum head room I am thinking of using a Hi Lift track on the smaller door but I'm wondering about the additional strain there would be using a conventional chain drive door opener. The Hi Lift track would change the forces on the lift plate and arm.

Has any one had experience with Hi Lift tracks and conventional door openers. The other option is a wall mount opener which acts directly on the torsion bar but these are quite a bit more money for a project that has already gone over the planned budget. Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-18, 03:24 AM
Received 14 Votes on 14 Posts
How much high lift? A traditional draw bar/trolley style openers are limited because it will try to pull the top section backwards more than upwards and that will tear the section apart. I recommend the Liftmaster 8500 on a small door with high lift.

Old 10-07-18, 11:22 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sorry for the late reply Doorman. I keep forgetting to subscribe to the threads I create. I was planning on a 2' lift to match the other door. I tend to agree with you. The change in angle of the lift bar would probably be pretty hard on a conventional chain lift. If I spend the money on the 8500 I may as well get two for an additional cost of almost $500 CAD. On the other hand if I get two 10' doors and save the additional cost of 8500's + the lift kit I'm probably about $200 ahead and have a bigger door albeit with overhead openers, but hey it's just a shop where quietness doesn't matter. I wish I would have had wall mount openers in the house; not sure if the 8500 was even around 7 years ago. Again, thanks for your opinion DoorMan