Garage door not sealing along sides

Old 10-06-18, 05:25 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Garage door not sealing along sides

Hello there! So I'm having an issue with a garage door not sealing on the sides, but only near the threshold. It seems that for some reason the bottom section of the garage door is being pulled in towards the inside of the garage, rather than being horizontal to the walls. The track is straight as far as I can tell, and seems it may have something to do with a cable that is attached to the door at the bottom. It's the type of door that has two springs along the ceiling, not one big spring at the top front.

t's hard to describe well, so I drew a side view of the garage door to show what's happening (forgive my technical drawing skills). Is there an adjustment of some sort that I'm missing? Has this happened to anyone else?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-18, 06:36 PM
Group Moderator
Received 298 Votes on 271 Posts
Show us where the cable attaches to the bottom of the door.

Old 10-07-18, 12:31 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I don't understand how the door can be that far towards the interior (I know...not to scale). It can only move as far in as the rollers in the track allow. That should only be about 1/4" play or so. Also, isn't there a noticeable gap on the outside where the panels meet...compared to the upper panels?

Ahhh, the actual picture didn't load for me the first time. Those cables should be in a much more straight vertical (in line with the track) I believe. Isn't there a pulley (called a sheave) at the top that the cable loops over? Is it adjustable? By the look of the angle of the lifting cable, it would seem the sheave is quite a ways away from the door...it should be nearly directly above the door in every application I've ever seen. See this manual... http://clopaypdfs.com/pdf_files/SUP-0137180_EN.pdf page 3 figures 6-8 for an example of what I mean. It can vary by manufacturer.

How about a few pics of the route the lift cable takes up and over to the spring? No videos please.

Old 10-07-18, 04:37 AM
Received 14 Votes on 14 Posts
He did show where the cable attaches to the bottom of the door(second picture). He has a low headroom door. They are notorious for doing whats described. Installing vinyl seal with a rubber flap built into will fix it. Vinyl seal can be bought at big box stores and is flexible so you can bend it in at the bottom to conform to the door. Install it with the door down and put the wood grain Finnish up so it can be seen (i see this put on up side down all the time) https://www.homedepot.com/p/Frost-Ki...-100185922-_-N

Old 10-07-18, 07:11 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks guys! It's at my mother's place, so I'll grab a few shots. Gunguy45, the gap at the very bottom is something like 3/8-1/2", as compared to a very minimal gap in the next section up. The roller does have some play, but it seems okay to me. I'll see if the pulley can be moved towards the door more to angle the cable better - I have no idea who installed it since it was installed in the early 90s.

Doorman2722, it does have a seal similar to that, but it's an older one and the rubber flap might not be as wide/as flexible as the one you showed me - so that may be a good solution if I can't adjust anything.

Thanks for all of the advice so far!

Old 10-07-18, 08:24 AM
Group Moderator
He did show where the cable attaches to the bottom of the door(second picture).
I meant the opposite side of that picture. I also don't know why the cable has so much angle on it... like the pulley is 12" away from the wall or something.

Old 10-07-18, 11:49 AM
Received 45 Votes on 39 Posts
Isn't there a roller at the bottom of the door on each ? If so the track should keep the bottom piece vertical.

Old 10-07-18, 11:52 AM
Group Moderator
And if the door pulls away too far it sounds like the track needs to be adjusted out (closer to door stop) on bottom.