Bent the top panel of my garage because Iím an idiot

Old 10-10-18, 02:52 PM
Bent the top panel of my garage because Iím an idiot

Hi all. I know absolutely nothing about garages and, apparently, proximity because as I backed out of my garage, the door hit the hood of my car and has now become warped in the middle of the top panel...

It will open, but not close all the way because of the warp. Iím assuming this happened because the motor kept running and put force on the door despite it being unable to fully shut. It also seems that Iíve torn a part of the frame as well..

Is there any way to fix this myself? Can I just push it back into place? Please help!!

[img]blob:https://www.doityourself.com/3516130f-a142-4b1b-89ec-e7b40ff541a7[/img]

[img]blob:https://www.doityourself.com/afe1f10e-5082-453b-b15e-7de915605148[/img]
[img]blob:https://www.doityourself.com/ba6764d8-7789-4151-b6f1-7c33863b4128[/img]

[img]blob:https://www.doityourself.com/f702a023-cb55-4419-a64d-5d46aa0bfb88[/img]

Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-18, 03:05 PM
Sorry here are working links to the images. I can't seem to get them posted here

Inside view
Side view
Close up of torn bit
Under side of torn area

Old 10-10-18, 03:15 PM
Ouch, with the metal torn you really have a damaged section and suspect to get it back to normal will need to be replaced!

Old 10-10-18, 04:13 PM
Group Moderator
Yup, replace the panel.
-------------------------------

Old 10-10-18, 06:35 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Get a piece of angled perforated metal that you can use to stabilize the bend. Make it an 8' piece and cut it to fit the entire width of the door. Use it as leverage to help get the door back to straight. Screw along the length to hold the door straight. Then, get a smaller piece of perforated angle and bridge the gap from the top perforated metal to the first hinge below where the opener attaches. This will take the pressure off the top panel and transfer it to the hinge of the lower panel. Worth a shot versus a new panel or new door.

Old 10-11-18, 03:22 AM
Replace... and why is the door opener installed backwards?

Old 10-11-18, 08:05 AM
And as per Doorman, that's most likely the reason it didn't stop when excessive down force was encountered. The opener thinks it's opening when it's actually closing. No safety was triggered which is why the damage happened.

Old 10-11-18, 03:31 PM
Hey thanks for the suggestion @czizzi. We were actually able to straighten out the door to close it, however the top strut is still split. Like you suggested, we thought we should stabilize the broken strut with another piece of metal. Thank you for being so exact with your instructions

Do you have any opinions on getting a new strut altogether (gotta order a custom one for around $200) vs doing what you suggested, in terms of longevity/overall safety?

Here are two new images of the state the garage is currently at.

straightened out garage door
close up of the split

@Doorman2722: I did not even know it was installed backwards...is that something you think I should try to reinstall? We just moved in last year to the house as new homeowners...guess we have a lot to learn

@tomf63: Thanks for the explanation. I really appreciate any knowledge because I truly know nothing about garages lol

Old 10-11-18, 04:06 PM
Super Moderator
That opener absolutely is installed all wrong. An extension cord stapled to the ceiling for power? Probably plugged in to a light socket adapter? Likely ungrounded?

You aren't going to repair that panel with any real success...based on what you said about your knowledge and skill level. A strut should not cost anywhere near $200. To be clear...the strut is the galvanized bent sheetmetal brace that runs across the entire panel. Seems like they run about $60 or so if ordered retail? A panel would be about $200 maybe, with a strut. Been a while since I did one.

IF, you can get a compatible strut, and IF, you can straighten the panel enough to attach it securely, and IF, it runs easily up and down, and IF you remove and re-install the opener (or have it done...even by a handyman)....you might be good for a year or 2. It will still look like hell, but it might be made functional.

For the small addl amount of money and piece of mind...at a minimum, I'd replace the top panel and re-install the opener correctly.

Old 10-11-18, 04:55 PM
I love the sticker on the opener that says for service to call "Budget Garage Doors". I can guess how they came up with the name.