Garage minimum ceiling height

Old 10-15-18, 06:51 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Garage minimum ceiling height

I'm currently in the planning stage of having a garage/shop being built on my property. At this point it looks like I'll be going with a metal building. I plan on installing a 9-10,000# auto/truck lift. The lift itself has an overall height of approx. 12' with an actual lifting height of 72". Can anyone tell me what I would need for a minimum ceiling height. I've been told 15' but I would like to hear from someone who actually has a lift. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-18, 07:18 PM
Group Moderator
Received 73 Votes on 65 Posts
It is all going to depend on how big a car/truck you will put on the lift. Are you going to service tall cube trucks or vans with ladder racks, or just standard passenger autos? Example: 6' lifting height + an 8' tall truck = 14' (My Ford transit with ladders is about 8' tall)

Many lifts also have a stop bar across the top to limit the lifting height, if installed.

Old 10-16-18, 10:55 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I don't plan on anything bigger or taller than a 3500 pick-up with a lumber rack. I'm only going with the higher capacity lift to because my brother has two M-37's and they're pretty heavy. I guess I'll go with the building with
the gambrel style roof to get the clearance I need and still keep the exterior walls at 12'. Thanks for your input.

Old 10-16-18, 06:19 PM
Group Moderator
Received 73 Votes on 65 Posts
That sounds like a good plan It would be hard to change it later.