Need input on a pole barn

Old 10-23-18, 05:21 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need input on a pole barn

Hello,

Next Spring I will be building a garage / shop. About 1200 sq ft with attic trusses for storage. I had intended to use stick frame construction until I got a rough estimate of $65K. We have a National Barn franchise/center in my county who regularly offer something like this size for about $20K. I went by a friends to look at one. It was like a barn inside, but definitely usable.

A few considerations for my situation is my detached garage cannot be metal sided. I would need some other siding. Also, I had intended on a drywall finished walls for my shop.

I simply cannot spend $65K now on this project. I could spend $20K and upgrade as money permits.

Can someone offer their experiences?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-18, 05:31 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 131 Votes on 117 Posts
You could have the pole barn constructed and the concrete poured. Then you could erect stud walls between the poles which would accept whatever type of siding you need to use.

Old 10-23-18, 05:50 AM
That's what I was thinking as well. In researching I saw comments in other forums stating you lose what ever $ gains you get with a pole barn when you want different exterior and interior finishes. i.e. finish it out like stick built. But it does definitely get the structure up and I can finish it at my own pace.

Old 10-23-18, 05:59 AM
Group Moderator
Received 232 Votes on 213 Posts
If you wanted a barn I would say go ahead with the pole barn. Then you mentioned wanting sheetrock walls... which isn't a pole barn. I think you need to decide what you really want. Of course everyone wants nice and fancy but only pay a small amount for it but pole barns and finished sheetrock are two different structures.

Old 10-23-18, 06:34 AM
That is my issue for sure.

Old 10-23-18, 06:43 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 131 Votes on 117 Posts
Locally there are a lot of commercial bldgs that are built like a pole barn but the interiors are finished [drywall] They generally have steel siding although many are dressed up on the front with some brick or stone. I have no idea what the additional costs are.

If I paid to have the pole barn erected, I'd definitely consider diying the rest although a lot depends on the time frame with permits and all.

Old 10-23-18, 06:44 AM
Group Moderator
Received 220 Votes on 203 Posts
Substitute 3/4" tongue and groove sheathing for their standard steel siding and you can put any kind of siding and trim on it that you want. Their horizontal gerts will need to be a maximum of 32" on center.

Old 10-23-18, 06:45 AM
I don't think permits would be a problem. In my area I think I could have the pole barn erected receive a final inspection. I could later finish it out.

Old 10-23-18, 06:54 AM
Originally Posted by XSleeper View Post
Substitute 3/4" tongue and groove sheathing for their standard steel siding and you can put any kind of siding and trim on it that you want. Their horizontal gerts will need to be a maximum of 32" on center.
I was not aware that could be done. I am going to contact the company today and find out more.

Old 10-23-18, 07:36 AM
Group Moderator
Received 232 Votes on 213 Posts
Look carefully at the exterior sheeting cost. Pole barns are by design cheap. Adding posts 32" apart or framing to support extra siding can dramatically affect the cost. At some point it will become more economical to stick frame the walls and you'd be set for insulation and sheetrock in the future.

Old 10-23-18, 02:44 PM
Group Moderator
Received 220 Votes on 203 Posts
It doesn't need posts 32" apart. The gerts are the horizontal members between posts... which should be standard on most any pole barn. No additional framing is needed for siding. Just good heavy sheathing that will hold a nail and not warp.