Problem with new Liftmaster 8500

Old 11-06-18, 02:43 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Problem with new Liftmaster 8500

Spent most of yesterday afternoon installing a new 8500 on my door. The door is balanced and does roll up and down easily when it is detached from the drive motor with the emergency pull cord. I do notice some slight movement in the new opener assembly as some of the rollers pass a certain spot.

I have not been able to properly program the upper and lower limits and I am now stopped by the emergency pull mechanism not reattaching within the motor unit. On both the connect and disconnect pull of the cord, I am hearing a definite click inside the machine but neither setting will reattach the machine to the drive shaft.
The door just rolls up and down manually regardless of the setting of the pull cord.

Any ideas will be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-18, 03:24 AM
Received 14 Votes on 14 Posts
Is this the 8500 or 8500W? is the coupler tight? there are 6 set screws on the 8500, 4 on the 8500W

Old 11-07-18, 06:09 AM
its the 8500, set screws are tight

Old 11-07-18, 09:30 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
The same thing happened to mine the first time I pulled the cord. I thought something was broken, but I pulled harder and it re-engaged. Here's a thread where someone else had the same issue: https://www.doityourself.com/forum/g...nual-mode.html

Old 11-07-18, 10:45 AM
I called the Liftmaster technical service hot line and they told me the same thing-don't worry about pulling too hard.
I did this and it re-engaged.

While I am at it, I need to fess up. My other problem, a noise from the motor but no action, was corrected by tightening the collar bolts on the motor drive shaft. How they got loose so soon I do not know but I think the NTSB would call it "OPERATOR ERROR."

Thanks.