Need carport ideas

Old 11-11-18, 12:24 PM
Need carport ideas

I need brainstorming assistance for a semi-closed carport I would like to build. I have never done one before. My first decision: I recently paved the driveway and the edge of the driveway is 24ft away from the house. I have trouble deciding whether to put the post on the hardtop or on the ground, just off the edge. The house is 23ft wide. I am inclined to build the carport as wide as the space I have to work with because I would like to be able to accommodate two vehicles, next to each other and a full length pickup truck but am afraid it will look right. I want it to add value to the house. Also, I want to update the siding on the whole house. Its an old house I have been updating since I purchase it. I will try and attach a picture.

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-18, 04:41 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the forums!

First off the supports for the carport need a footer down to the frost line, they also need to be securely anchored to the ground so that means you can't just build on top of the blacktop. Unless you have someone with experience to help you I wouldn't consider this a good first time project. Remember you also need to get a permit and pass inspection.

Old 11-19-18, 06:05 AM
I did put up an ad, locally, for assistance building this thing. I have not had any takers, yet and I have not decided what shape to build it either. I know about getting permit and all. I actually downgraded from a full two car garage, I was planning on doing. I had gotten all the permit paperwork from the county for the two car garage.

Old 11-19-18, 08:09 AM
I wouldn't do a 2-vehicle car port on a house that size. It would not look right IMO, and could actually decrease the value of the home. Why did you decide against the garage? Budgetary reasons? You could hold off on replacing your siding and use that money towards a garage. It would be a shame to tear up that new driveway though, but I imagine it would be possible to build around it and have an asphalt floor in the garage, which you could later have torn out and replaced with concrete. Not really the ideal way to do things, but at least your new driveway wouldn't go to waste.

Can you post a couple more pictures of your lot so we can get a better feel for what you're working with? If you are dead set on a car port, would your be open to a port that is two cars deep as opposed to two wide? I think that would look better in proportion to the house.

Last edited by mossman; 11-19-18 at 08:47 AM.
Old 11-19-18, 08:34 AM
I found a picture of a rambler with a 2-vehicle car port. It actually doesn't look bad. It is set back from the front of the house several feet, which looks way better than it would if it were even with the house and lined up with the main roof. You could do the same and I think it could look good. I would be sure to use the same materials and finishings as the main house so it is cohesive. And I'd set it back from the front several feet. You could pour a shallow slab along the back of the carport since you wouldn't have any asphalt there. I'm trying to post a pic of the house I found, but I've exceeded my quota at the moment.

Another idea, what about a single car garage against the house and an open carport to the left?

Old 11-27-18, 08:55 AM
I downgrade my project to a carport from a full two car garage because I called a few contractors and left message for a call back. I never got the call back. I got discouraged. I figured I could do must of the work myself with a carport. I included a new picture from a different angle.

The carport would be a semi-opened carport. I would like a wall to the left of the pickup truck.

Attached Images  
Old 11-27-18, 11:54 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Again, I doubt you can get a permit to build over top of asphalt. A wall should require a footer which would need to go down to the frost line. There are also property line restrictions. Most places restrict anything from being built within 12' of the property line.

Old 11-27-18, 12:47 PM
I think that building and zoning codes will not allow what you're thinking about.

I suspect you are most likely to end up with a 2 bay detached carport/garage set back from the left side and sitting behind the house.

You might be able to put some sort of fence/pergola along the property line to the left of the driveway, and then attach to the house, but the cost of the 24' laminate beam needed to span across the driveway may be prohibitive.

will be more than just doing a simple

Old 11-27-18, 12:55 PM
Depending on the property line setback restrictions (call your county's building division or go online to their website to determine), you may be able to do a two vehicle long by one vehicle wide port that extends forward of the house. You'd be playing musical chairs with your vehicles though, which could be irritating and inconvenient.

Plan view:

Attached Images  

Last edited by mossman; 11-27-18 at 01:51 PM.
Old 12-03-18, 07:24 PM
I kinda like this idea. I would not have to play musical cars too much as I would drive out the back with which ever car is in the front.

Attached Images  
Old 12-03-18, 07:28 PM
Through the grass?

You could also just go with a single port and park the second vehicle on the driveway to the left.