Hanging Storage Shelves from Trusses

Old 11-18-18, 11:38 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hanging Storage Shelves from Trusses

To better utilize the space against my 12' walls i thought it would be a good idea to hang a 3'-4' storage loft from the trusses @ 4' centers i.e. a vertical 2x4 hanging from the truss joined to a horizontal 2x4 from the stud. I have seen this done many times, possibly not quite as big as this. My concern is the roof trusses are designed for a maximum load and this may place too much load on the trusses. My aim would be to limit the load on theses shelves to about 40-50 lbs/sq. ft. Any ideas or references? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-18, 12:51 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 620 Votes on 573 Posts
Your trusses likely were not designed for that type a load. Most truss bottom chords are designed for 10lb/ft which covers supporting the sheetrock. Worse is you are planning to create point loads on the truss. Your added weight will not be a evenly spaced 50 lb/ft since all that weight will be hanging from just a few points on the trusses.

Old 11-18-18, 01:09 PM
B
Pilot,

I realized that any load on a shelf is concentrated at the points of attachment.

The loading criteria for my trusses (PSF) is TCLL:27.38, BCDL: 7.00, TCDL: 3.00. Unfortunately I'm not sure what this means which is why I had concerns about building such a loft. If you have any further comments based on this info I'll appreciate it.

Old 11-18-18, 01:15 PM
B
Pilot,

Just realized what my numbers mean. BCDL would be the bottom cord dead load. At 7# it is less than the 10# that you referenced. Definitely sounds like it's not a good idea to hang anything other than the ceiling from those bottom chords. Thanks for taking the time to reply and create a bit more thinking on my part.

Old 11-18-18, 04:42 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 620 Votes on 573 Posts
Doing anything properly will be expensive as a professional Engineer will have to sign off on the changes. Their fees start at $500-$1000.

Sistering a 2x10 or whatever along the bottom chord might provide the strength you need for storage. We don't have any idea about your situation and can't advise but by looking at the span tables for dimensional lumber you can get an idea for what's might be needed.

Old 11-18-18, 05:13 PM
B
Thanks for the input. What will likely happen is I'll have a work bench along that wall. If i make it 2 1/2' deep and run the support posts up to the trusses iIcan probably hang a 2 1/2' shelf off those uprights. No doubt there are other ways but as you said getting an engineer to figure it out becomes more expensive than what the project is worth. Again, thanks for your input.

Old 11-18-18, 06:15 PM
Group Moderator
Received 667 Votes on 617 Posts
Yeah if you will have a bench just extend some legs up.