Metal barn siding exterior lights

Old 11-27-18, 12:25 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Metal barn siding exterior lights

I have a new barn with metal siding. It's not a pole building but looks like one. I want to install a few exterior lights but I have an issue I'm not sure how to handle. I want to put some wall lights on either side of the service door and an overhead door. I put in several outside outlets and that was easy I just installed them in locations that allowed me to put the box between the siding ribs. The lights are a little different. I want to install an octagon box through the wall to mount a fixture but the spacing of the ribs won't let me put the box between the ribs and make them evenly spaced on either side of the door. I'm sure I'm not the first to have this problem. What are some possible options? I don't want to surface mount a box, don't like that look. Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-18, 12:32 PM
Group Moderator
Received 311 Votes on 285 Posts
Surface mounting a box was my first thought. If you want to space the lights evenly and that doesn't coincide with the ribs in the metal siding you could install a horizontal board. That would allow you to move the lights side to side as needed to get the centering you want. The board could just be a simple pressure treated 2x8 or you could wrap it in vinyl trim stock if you don't want the wood look.

Old 11-27-18, 01:01 PM
Group Moderator
Received 298 Votes on 271 Posts
The mounting blocks they make for vinyl siding would probably work just the same. Google Arlington siding block. They have ones that are UL rated as boxes. Just be sure you get one with a snap on lid.

Old 11-27-18, 01:58 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I'll have to think how that siding block would look. If the cover piece just catches a rib it might look odd. I thought about making a wood block and cutting the siding to fit it. Problem with that I think is it really should have J-channel around it and I'm not sure how I could nail or screw that after the fact outside of removing some siding. That makes this a whole lot more work.

Old 11-27-18, 02:30 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Are the doors/areas you want to illuminate on the gable end? If not, perhaps recessed lighting in the soffits could work?