Garage door opens fine, but closes rough and only with gentle help

Old 11-27-18, 09:35 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Garage door opens fine, but closes rough and only with gentle help

Hello, I have searched back years of this forum and cannot find a problem described like mine. I have a Craftsman garage opener. It was working fine until recently when it started closing roughly, with a pounding sound and the trolley bucking as it closed. With gentle pressure I can help pull it down. It started out happening only as the door reached about halfway down, but over the next few days got to where it starts almost right from the start of the closing, and continues all the way down. With the door detached, the trolley goes back and forth smoothly, and the door goes up and down smoothly manually. I cannot detect any binding of the rollers in the track, see no track damage.

Changing the Down Force doesnt seem to overcome it, and when it encounters whatever problem is causing this, it doesnt reverse , just keeps pounding and bucking away. I can make the door reverse by catching it with my hands, without too much force, so the safety reverse does work. The safety sensors dont seem to be involved because the light doesnt blink when any of this occurs. There are no error LEDs blinking when this happen. I suspected a bad RPM sensor but the trolley travel problems described with that are not this. and there is no error code blinking.

It seems to act like I would expect if a roller was broken or out of line, or a section of track was bent, but I see no damage to any of that.

Please, any ideas where to look next? thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-18, 10:10 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Maybe you have some worn teeth on the drive sprocket/gear and the chain is skipping when spinning in the closing direction under load?

Old 11-28-18, 06:30 AM
Group Moderator
Received 305 Votes on 279 Posts
Disengage the garage door opener by pulling the release cord. Open and close the door manually. Does the door move smoothly in both directions? Does the door want to magically rise or open on it's own?

Old 11-28-18, 08:46 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
thanks so much for commenting. With the door unconnected from the chain trolley it opens and closes smoothly with no apparent binding. Seems to be well balanced, does not run up or down on its own, only with gentle push with hands.

the chain gear teeth I can see are metal and seem fine. I guess there could be plastic gears inside that are damaged