Garage door opener issues

Old 12-02-18, 07:28 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Garage door opener issues

Hello, we have a Craftsman garage door opener that is giving me fits. Model 41A4315-7D Craftsman 1/2 H.P. A couple weeks ago the plastic gear cover jumped off and fell to the floor. My wife found it and I didn't know where it was from initially. The opener continued working normally for 1-2 weeks afterward. Then one time it got stuck in the down position up against the stop bolt and would only try to move further down, which it obviously couldn't do so there'd just be a brief hum/buzz from the motor. I tried adjusting the screws on the side for decreasing the down travel but nothing worked. Five lights flashed on the diagnosis LED which means "Motor overheated or possible RPM sensor failure, Unplug to reset."

I ended up loosening the chain and unhooking it from the gear, then manually pulling the trolley so it was in the up position and re-attaching it to the gear. After doing this it worked normally for a few days, then out of the blue got stuck against the stop bolt again. I repeated detaching the chain, pulling it to the up position, re-attaching it. This time it only worked once or twice before again getting stuck against the down stop bolt.

The gear on top appears to have been knocked off-kilter (toward the front of the opener) by maybe 1/4 of an inch. I'm thinking this means something inside the opener might be off as well. I took the cover off as much as I could to peer inside and didn't see anything obviously wrong.

Any ideas on what might be going on with this? I'm considering swapping this opener with the one on the other side of the garage since we rarely ever use that one, but it seems like that would be a fairly involved operation. I'd rather just get this one working again if it doesn't cost a lot and isn't too crazy difficult.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-18, 08:38 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
The bushings wear out on those. They're just a bronze bushing, not a bearing. Over time they elongate the hole from the shaft pressure.

You can buy a repair kit with new gears, bushings, etc for about $15 +shipping online. Get the WHOLE kit, not just the partial. Takes about as long to take the opener down as it does to replace the parts.

Pretty simple with basic tools. Easier to do on the bench.

If you want bells and whistles, just buy a new opener, but the kit will work fine and the opener will be almost like new.
Example only...there are other sources...https://www.liftmaster.com/chain-dri...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Old 12-03-18, 07:56 AM
Thanks! How is it that a worn bushing would cause it to keep butting up against the stop bolt? Shouldn't I theoretically be able to fix the issue by decreasing the downward travel screw? I'm not disputing that the bushing is worn; just trying to understand how the worn bushing is creating the issue. I'm concerned there may be a bigger underlying issue than just the worn bushing.

Old 12-03-18, 06:51 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Not sure...could just be gear issues as well. Possibly the small screw drive for the limit switches inside the enclosure is worn. That's if this one has the mechanical limit switches I'm thinking of. Bet when you remove the cover you'll have all sorts of plastic "snow" inside, from worn parts.

Old 12-08-18, 05:44 AM
How is it that a worn bushing would cause it to keep butting up against the stop bolt?

When the bushing wears and the top of that shaft it moves forward, the bottom moves back and away from the limit shaft. in extreme cases the gears will slip between the output shaft, and the limit shaft