average size of 2-car garage

Old 05-23-01, 07:19 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

We are in the process of having our home built. My husband is concerned that the garage is not wide enough for our compact car and full size pickup. The builder's standard size is 18'4" x 20' (2-car side-by-side, of course). Seems big enough to me. Do you know the average standard size of a 2 car garage these days? Does it make any difference what part of the country - we're in the mid-west?

Old 05-25-01, 11:02 AM
Visiting Guest
IMO too narrow. My garage is small at 19 1/2 by 19 1/2. Yes the cars fit, but you will have trouble opening car doors between them and walking between or beside the cars (especially if you want to use the garage for any type of storage).

Old 05-25-01, 12:02 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

I would not build less than a 20' X 24' double garage.
And THAT will be tight.
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 05-25-01, 12:20 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I want to use part of our extra long garage to add more space to our family room.... and I need to know: If the minimum recommended size is 20' x 24', which of those dimensions is the length?

Old 05-25-01, 08:25 PM
Visiting Guest
Appraisers and architects take 24X24 as the standard for a two car garage. 20 by 20 is really the minimum desirable size. It will accomodate two small cars alright but anything larger and the car door swing gets a little tight, but workable. A few older land yachts and big trucks rewuire more than 20 feet in length. A twenty foot garage is a lot cheaper to build and makes a nice box for cars, but it allows little room for storage.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: