Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Garages, Garage Door Openers, Work Shops & Sheds, Breezeways and Carports
Reload this Page >

Genie SilentMax 1000 garage door opener gets stuck, then moves a few inches

Old 01-29-19, 03:29 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I have cleaned and lubricated the door hardware and the door moves up and down easily by hand when disconnected from the drive. I have cleaned the sensors and unplugged the unit to reset.

When I plug it back in, I am able to set the limits normally, although when setting the down limit the door moves slowly at first and then speeds up.

After setting the limits, I use the wall button to save the force settings by cycling the door up and back down. When I hit the wall button, sometimes the door will open all of the way up, but will only go part way down and then get stuck. Sometimes it will only open partway. Once it gets stuck, it will only move a few inches at a time. The oblong led flashes red at that point. If I unplug again, the door moves up and down when I reset the limits but gets stuck again when I try the door switch.

If I disengage the door carriage from the screw drive track and hit the wall button, the track moves about an inch and stops, and then moves back about an inch in the other direction and stops.

There are no blinking lights on the sensors that I can see.

Since the door moves freely on its own, there must be some issue with the mechanism. It doesn't make sense to me that I can move the door when setting the limits but not with the wall switch. I would expect that I couldn't move the door at all if there was something wrong with the power unit or the screw drive.

Suggestions would be appreciated,

LMHmedchem

Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-19, 10:33 AM
I spoke with a service tech on the phone for about 20 minutes and she said I need to replace the Opto-Luctor. Does that sound right?

The part goes about $30 from them including shipping.

If this is the correct fix, is the part difficult to replace?

LMHmedchem

Old 01-30-19, 10:15 PM
Super Moderator
I'm really not familiar with that model but I'm guessing that part is some sort of slotted wheel that interrupts a beam from an LED. I've worked on 2 that had similar parts and one just needed a good cleaning of the wheel, LED and sensor, while the other the wheel had somehow worked itself out of position and was wobbly.

I don't remember the brands or symptoms...just the fixes.

Looking at the 1000's manual, it appears quite a bit of disassembly MAY be required depending on if it's an AC or DC motor. It's not necessarily hard to do, just a little awkward unless you take the unit down and have a clear space to work. Wouldn't want to do it on a ladder.

You might call Genie back and ask how involved the process is. They are located in OH and in general have been very helpful to me in the past as have the folks at Clopay Garage doors. Of course, I'm an old OH boy (retired to AZ) so I can kind of relate to them.