Liftmaster Professional looses settings

Old 01-31-19, 05:03 PM
Received 2 Votes on 1 Post
Liftmaster Professional looses settings

I don't know how to explain this but I will try, My liftmaster settings keep changing on their own. Sometimes the door will close 1" off the garage floor, other times it will close so far that the load limit setting will force it back up. Sometimes it only opens 1/4 of the way, close it, and then it will open almost normal. After a few uses, it will go back to normal and then start this process all over again. I reset the travel limits, but it only throws it further out of whack till I set it back to where it is now.

It's like it has a mind of it's own. I set the force level (when closing) so it won't go back up, but then it jams and won't go back up without pulling the release lever...

It's driving me nuts. Any ideas on what it could be other than adjusting the limits again? It will just loose the limits you set.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-19, 03:18 AM
Received 9 Votes on 9 Posts
Most likely the plastic gear assembly is either stripped, or the top bushing in the gear assembly is going / gone bad causing it to loose it's timing. Unplug it and take the cover off and look. A model number or picture would help, does it have eye sensors?

Old 02-02-19, 10:35 AM
It has the closing eye sensors, they work. It has a tag on it
Part # 41A5021-4M-315
IC:266A (102 1499A) And date of 4/11

I attached a picture of the tag and how far the door closes. Any adjustments of trying to make the door close further just makes it close to far and bind up. We live out in the sticks so if I leave it where it is we get field mice that wonder in, especially in the winter. We park our cars in the garage so it's always being used. It's become a real pita.

Name:  gd1.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  32.2 KB

Name:  gd2.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  33.5 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 02-20-19 at 04:47 PM. Reason: resized pictures
Old 02-20-19, 04:15 PM
Well I fixed it. The contact that closes when the door reaches lift height was dirty. Sometimes the contact would not make contact and the door kept going down until the force on the contact made it connect. I posted a picture of the contact. The little center screw part travels back and forth with the door position. In this picture the door is open and the contact is closet to the gear set that drives it. When it closes it travels toward the contact with the yellow wire till it touches it and sends a signal to stop moving.

Hopefully if someone else has the problem a simple web search will help them out.

Name:  gd3.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  91.6 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 02-20-19 at 04:51 PM. Reason: resized picture/labeled contacts
Old 02-21-19, 03:18 AM
Received 9 Votes on 9 Posts
That has been a problem in the past but usually it's on the older ones with the copper limits contact, glad you got it fixed. Put some white lithium grease on the gears while you got the cover off, they are notorious for drying out and stripping.