Overhead garage door opener will not program remote

Old 04-03-19, 07:32 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Overhead garage door opener will not program remote

I have an Overhead Legacy 696CD/B garage door opener and was told to purchase a Genie GITR-3 remote as a replacement. I'm following the instructions, which is to press the learn button then press the far right button on the remote once. Then press the same button again to lock in the code. It didn't work for me. Does anyone else have experience with this opener and remote? Thanks.

Name:  g1.JPG
Views: 4493
Size:  30.9 KB

Name:  g2.JPG
Views: 6578
Size:  64.3 KB

Name:  g3.JPG
Views: 3584
Size:  65.9 KB

Name:  g4.JPG
Views: 3173
Size:  23.5 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 04-03-19 at 11:46 PM. Reason: resized pictures
Old 04-03-19, 11:53 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
Press the "smart" button on your Legacy unit.
Wait for the unit's indicator light to begin flashing and press the right button on the code dodger remote.
At this point the the motor unit will flash the main light and the LED light will continue flashing.
Wait for the LED light to stop flashing after 30 seconds and press the "Open" (right) button on your Legacy remote to test the programming.

Old 04-08-19, 07:41 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for responding Pete! I was able to talk with someone who has experience with these remotes and my problem was I was holding the remote too close to the opener. Felt really stupid. Also, while I was setting up HomeLink in my cars, I figured out that I didn't even need to purchase a replacement remote. You can set up Homelink in your car by using the learn function on the opener itself. I thought a remote was needed for programming. Again, felt stupid. Oh well, I'll know next time.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: