Liftmaster 1155LM stops opening garage door midway

Old 02-16-19, 03:50 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Liftmaster 1155LM stops opening garage door midway

Folks, I've looked up a bunch of posts online and haven't found quite the same situation described already. Hope you guys can help fix this, or at least help conclusively decide that I need a new opener.

The issue:
When i hit the button to open the garage door, it starts opening and then after the door has raised about 2 feet, it automatically stops. When I "help" the opener, but giving some force using my hands on the garage door handle while it's opening, it is able to open the door all the way.
Closing the door is fine - no issues there.
The opener is quite old - manufactured in '91. It came with the house when we bought it about 3 years ago. it just started giving issues a few months ago. at first, it would stop halfway while opening, but it was intermittent - i could close and then open again - and it would open fine. but over time, it got worse to the point now where it just won't open all the way unless i "help" the opener.

What I've tried so far:
I use silicone spray lubricant on many of the parts as suggested by several websites
the chain was hanging pretty low and it was also pretty noisy when the door opener was working.
I tightened the chain to where it needs to be, and the noise now is better than what it used to be, but not perfect.Now, the noise is coming from the door and other parts creaking i think.
Unfortunately, this did not fix the issue.
I took apart the casing to inside the opener and I couldn't not find anything obviously broken. The gears have some wear on the two ends of the teeth, but not sure if that is the issue. pics attached.
video clip of the issue here : https://drive.google.com/open?id=1XP...q6IIkyW83Viijb

anybody have clues on what to try next?
or know what is wrong?
or is the info i've posted enough to conclude that something is seriously wrong and I might as well buy and install a new garage door opener ?

thanks in advance,
Julian.

Name:  gd1.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  64.5 KB

Name:  gd2.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  50.0 KB

Name:  gd3.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  89.6 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 02-20-19 at 01:09 PM. Reason: cropped/resoriented/resized pictures
Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-19, 04:37 AM
Received 11 Votes on 11 Posts
I would Replace it, It looks like the gear is going bad anyways, Your problem maybe fixed by increasing the up force but usually in the old openers the motor gets tired and weak

Old 02-20-19, 12:35 PM
Thanks so much for the response. Can't believe I didn't notice that on the opener, or on my google search.
I increased the up force, and that has resolved the issue. at least for now.
If I reach the limit on that, I will go ahead and replace it.
thanks again!

Old 02-20-19, 01:14 PM
Group Moderator
Received 375 Votes on 352 Posts
You've probably needed to increase door up pressure as the door has become heavier as the springs get older.

When you see white shavings on the bottom of the opener it's time to do a rebuild. As mentioned the opener is getting older and probably could stand to be replaced. If you plan on running it until it dies.... get the plastic gear rebuilding kit. It comes with installation instructions and is not hard to do. It's called the 41C4220A rebuild kit. One link is below. It's sold in many places.

41C4220A rebuild kit

Old 04-08-19, 08:56 PM
thanks for all your responses. I ended up buying a new Chamberlain belt drive opener for about $200 and installing it myself.

Old 04-09-19, 05:35 AM
Group Moderator
Received 234 Votes on 214 Posts
If your garage door has a torsion spring horizontal above the door don't forget to lubricate it well. The friction of all the steel coils rubbing against each other can be quite a bit.

Old 04-09-19, 07:12 AM
Pilot Dane, what do you suggest I lubricate it with?
I read somewhere that the track etc should be lubed with a silicone spray, while the springs should be lubed with WD-40.
Does that sounds right?

Old 04-09-19, 07:36 AM
Group Moderator
Received 234 Votes on 214 Posts
Keep in mind WD-40 is a brand name, not a specific product. WD-40 makes a product specifically for lubricating garage doors. So, if shopping for WD-40 make sure you pick the correct product.