Garage wall fixup assistance.

Old 02-20-19, 07:06 AM
Received 4 Votes on 2 Posts
Garage wall fixup assistance.

Here's two pics of the wall in my garage showing 1. how the garage was attached to the house many years ago, and 2. how the exterior siding meets the garage 2x4 wall and the door frame that I installed. I'm going to remove the siding on the wall and prob put up S/R on the wall. My question/ issue is managing how I can remove the siding and metal corners without affecting the exterior and attachment to the 2x4s, then segway that into the door opening. I can't really move the door frame out further since I already am abt 1/2" short of the interior wall and will need to add a trim piece before adding the interior molding.

Name:  g2.JPG
Views: 8
Size:  110.6 KB

Name:  g3.JPG
Views: 7
Size:  50.0 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 05-23-19 at 03:39 PM. Reason: reoriented/resized pictures
Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-19, 07:34 AM
Group Moderator
Received 195 Votes on 181 Posts
Remove the siding... you will need a grinder to cut off the metal corner pieces because you can't get to the nails on the opposite side. (Possible you could Sawzall the nail and pull it out but who knows.)

Add framing to the wall as needed to shim it out level with the other studs.

Pull off your door brickmould and add a jamb extension that will be equal in width to the framing you just added plus the 1/2" drywall you will add.

Sheet rock and finish the wall, then add new brickmould.

Or, don't shim the wall out at all and you will just have an inside and outside corner to tape after you remove the siding.