New shed not high enough to open doors completely

Old 03-04-19, 10:26 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New shed not high enough to open doors completely

So I just put up an 8X10 resin shed by Suncast. I leveled the ground and put it on a paver base slightly elevated. What I didn't realize was how much the yard sloped to one side preventing one of the doors from opening all the way (needs 4-6 inches), while the other has a few inches of clearance.

Considering that the shed is a few hundred pounds, I also don't know how feasible it would be to somehow move/raise it, add some height to the foundation and put it back.

I don't like the idea of digging a trench just for the sake of opening the door and then creating water/drainage issues.

Any other creative solutions?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-19, 10:30 AM
Group Moderator
Received 195 Votes on 181 Posts
Raising it should be easy, maybe you could lay a perimeter of 2" paver blocks for it to sit on. Other idea would be to create a retaining wall on the side that is high... dig down the slope so the door opens.

Old 03-04-19, 10:30 AM
Group Moderator
Received 197 Votes on 182 Posts
Is the door easily removable? If not you could install some simple pin hinges or hinges that you can easily pull/remove the pins. Then you open the door part way and lift it off the hinges and set it aside.

Old 03-04-19, 12:41 PM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
If the shed has its own floor, I would dig out enough dirt to allow the door to open and build a retaining wall. Otherwise, you will need to remove the shed, raise the paver base, and re-position the shed on the raised paver base.

Old 03-04-19, 05:49 PM
Received 29 Votes on 25 Posts
Moving the shed and raising the base is the easiest solution. Invite 4 buddies over for pizza/brew. If you work fast, the pizza won't get cold. Another approach is to use 2/3 10 foot lengths of plastic pipe (under the 8 foot dimension) and roll the shed off and back once the base is raised. Have 2 buddies roll the shed off and the other 2 roll the shed back into place.

Old 03-07-19, 05:51 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I can't really picture the retaining wall idea in my head - Can you maybe clarify or share a picture of something similar?

Old 03-08-19, 05:59 AM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
I cannot picture your situation in my head. A photo would be a tremendous help so we can help you.