Proper footing for center column of 2 car garage

Old 03-13-19, 11:09 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Proper footing for center column of 2 car garage

I need to replace center column between the two garage doors due to rot on the bottom.
The current scheme is a 2x4 laying horizontally on the cement garage door floor, with 2x4 vertical studs using it as their bottom support (a typical arrangement I imagine).

One of the things I am noticing is that the cement floor is not horizntal (level) at this location, but is where it tapers down to the blacktop driveway. What would be the best way to handle this? Some kind of shim? The wood down there is so rotten I can't tell if the original 2x4 was modified to accommodate the slant.

Also, is there some kind of metal piece that would protect the new wood from the elements?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-19, 11:12 PM
Group Moderator
Received 243 Votes on 224 Posts
Current codes require you use pressure treated 2x4 for the plate. Easiest thing to do is to just anchor the plate down and then cut your studs at whatever angle is needed in order to bear fully on top of it.

Old 03-13-19, 11:38 PM
Thanks,
Definitely going to go with pressure treated.
Topcon concrete screws for anchor?

Old 03-13-19, 11:40 PM
Group Moderator
Received 243 Votes on 224 Posts
1/2" wedge anchors, or epoxy anchors. The washer required in some areas will be square hot dipped galvanized.

Old 04-08-19, 02:03 AM
Thanks,
Do I need to specify grade of wood? I can't tell but it looks like there may be more than one 2x4 side by side on each side of the center column.

Old 04-08-19, 06:00 AM
Group Moderator
Received 262 Votes on 237 Posts
You can use the lumber sold at any lumber yard or home center. Higher grades are sometimes straighter but the use of higher grades is generally not required. Yes, you will have multiple 2x4 stacked up in that area. There may be two on each side that are supporting the header over the door and one going all the way to the top plate.