Old Chamberlain won't go fully down

Old 03-15-19, 08:50 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Old Chamberlain won't go fully down

Helping a neighbor with an old Chamberlain 2000SDR opener (1/2hp screw drive, built 1998). It has safety lights (optional at that time). Last week, the opener started not closing all the way to the bottom. Weather here was around 30-40F so not extreme in either direction. I have moved the door manually up and down and it moves easily. Only possible issue with manual movement is that it it floats a little near the bottom (too much spring tension I would think). Anyhow, the downforce was already at max so I adjusted the down stop limiter to go father. That lasted a few trips up/down but now the door is back to its prior pattern of stopping 6-12 inches from the bottom. There are no flashing lights when closing and the safety beam lights appear to function properly. The only other symptom I can describe is that the closer motor sounds like it is weaker/struggling near the bottom of the door travel. I can try to adjust the down limiter further but I am not sure what that would really solve. I feel like I am treating symptoms and not the core problem.

Does it sound like the motor is just worn out? Try adjusting the stop limit further? What else is there?

If a replacement unit is recommended, what would be a good replacement for this unit? No extra features needed, just a basic opener.

- Peter

Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-19, 11:34 AM
Group Moderator
Received 344 Votes on 322 Posts
Garage doors and openers aren't always the easiest thing to diagnose. You mentioned it sounds like the motor is struggling when the door is nearly closed. That is not right. The motor should be working the same throughout the door location. That indicates something is binding or the springs are too tight.

Old 03-15-19, 12:12 PM
I don't disagree with the idea that the springs might be too tight but why after a number of years would it become a problem? If this opener worked fine until now, what failed or changed? I am not going to touch the springs but I am happy to replace parts on the opener.

- Peter

Old 03-17-19, 08:16 AM
New info

I took the cover off and watched the opener operate. It seems fine and all gears are intere. There only thing that caught my eye is that the capacitor is leaking. I know the capacitor is needed for starting the motor but does it impact the running? Can a leaky capacitor reduce power under load? On my opener, a bad capacitor just stopped the motor from doing anything.

-Peter

Old 03-18-19, 06:54 AM
One more update. My neighbor sent a message this morning that first thing in the morning (temp about 27F), the door would not come down properly. I was there yesterday afternoon (temp about 40F) and it ran up and down just fine. He said the same thing happened the last several days as he leaves early in the morning before the temps start to rise. He did say that he did not have any trouble lowering the door manually in the cold temp.

So, in reversing my earlier position, I think there IS a temperature correlation. I go back to my question about a leaking capacitor. Does the leaking capacitor reduce operating power and will cold temps have an impact on a compromised capacitor?

- Peter