Garage door won’t open fully

Old 03-21-19, 04:34 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Garage door won’t open fully

long story,

i have a overhead door model 496CD/B I assume it is original to this house. I have been here a year with no problems till now

my my capacitor went out so I changed it. In the process I managed to get the door out of square and a cable off of the roller drum. I called a service company and they squared the door and put new cables on. System is approx 11 years old. When the tech left the door was working fine I saw it running.

the next morning my mother in law was leaving and the door went up about three inches and stopped. It would go back down and back up only the couple of inches. So she pulled the release and went about her day. I did some reading and thought the up force setting might have been bumped too low so I was adjusting it up and running the door in the hopes t would start working. No luck and I blew another capacitor.

Today I have 2 capacitors, turned both force adjustments all the way up and still the door only opens about 6 inches now and stops. The door rolls freely disconnected for the carrier and the carrier travels full distance both ways without the door attached. I attached the door in mid run and tried starting fro there but it does the same thing, it just stops. The safety eyes are aligned and not blinking, I homed out the limit switches on the adjustment wheel and they both open and close.

what could have happened? This door has been running fine for a year since e moved here.

Thanks in advance for any input

Ken

Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-19, 05:19 AM
Group Moderator
Received 187 Votes on 174 Posts
Something is wrong if you keep blowing capacitors, even with the torque turned all the way up. It sounds like there are other electric/electronic problems with your opener.

Old 03-22-19, 05:49 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The capacitor blew after cycling the door several times in a row. Which I am told is a common occurrence. Randomly yesterday it decided to start working again. I will wait and see what happens