Garage Door will not open more than a foot, bounces instead of close

Old 03-23-19, 12:53 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Garage Door will not open more than a foot, bounces instead of close

I have a Craftman 1/2hp (41a4315-7d) that came with the house. The date on the sticker says 2001. I've had it more than three years with no problem until yesterday.

As is often the case, I opened and closed it at least three times yesterday. All was working well until it suddenly would not open using the wired switch. (Also tried it with the remote)

What it started doing is go up maybe a foot, but probably closer to eight inches, then stop. When you push the button again, it goes down to the ground, then bounces back up to to the eight to ten inches open it had been. Every time you push the button after that, the amount it would be open varied a little, sometimes it was only a couple of inches, but though the door will move and the motor go, it will not open more than a foot or completely close.

There is nothing in front of the eye. One side of the chain may become a little saggy momentarily while trying, but that could be normal, I don't know. The only "symptom" prior to this point was that I had thought I might have heard something bang the door between it working and not, but it was quick like maybe a ball hitting it. Because the dogs did not react, I thought maybe I imagined it, I heard something else or that it could have come from next door because they were taking things in and out of their garage setting-up for a yard sale.

After messing with the door for a while, I pulled the release rope and the door went crashing to the ground. Unlike other garage doors I've had in previous houses, I couldn't budge the door at all with the trolley released. It is firmly on the ground.

Any thoughts? Any suggestions of what to try or check? I found the manual pdf and that has nothing like this in the troubleshooting part. The motor still works because it tries to eight inches and will go a full cycle with the release pulled, as does the chain.. I haven't found any springs and a pdf search doesn't find the word in the manual. There are cables on both sides, though one crosses the pulley from where I assume it is attached to the other side of that pulley, so it can go down the inside.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-19, 03:13 AM
Received 57 Votes on 52 Posts
You have a broken spring or two and should call a door company to service them to avoid injury. And the sooner the better. Meanwhile, do not operate the door as the opener is not designed to raise the door in that state and doing so manually is going to hurt you and/or the door.

Old 03-23-19, 04:16 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Kook for springs or something to counter the door's weight

i am no expert on garage doors. Look for something that counter balances the door's weight. If no spring then maybe there is a weight that hangs (similar to old lead weights that double hung windows had hidden in the window's casing) somewhere and is connected by a wire. The clunk you heard is likely that spring or weight's tension somehow coming undone. The cable could have snapped for example. Or, the tension retainer bolt broke or releases. Otherwise, check out the track the door rides on. Maybe it came loose and the door rollers can no longer follow the track. Try raising the door by hand and see where it stops. Is it because it just gets too heavy, or does it run into something or what.

The motor is is still working so the problem is with the door,the track, or the counterweight apparatus.

Old 03-23-19, 10:19 AM
Okay in the light of day, I see that I wasn't looking for a couple of five or six inch springs providing tension between two things, but the torsion spring is the long coiled-looking pipe-like thing over a bar above the door, which is definitely broken on one side. In almost all certainty, that's the problem. The broken side feels pretty rusted, while the other looks more new, so maybe one was replaced and not the other or maybe that's just the way these springs aged.

I'm guessing that's why I can't hand-raise the door. It will not budge from the floor. As of yet, I haven't tried to lever it or anything to get it started, but just trying to pull up on the inside frame hasn't caused the door to move. If anybody knows of any security somethings the previous owners may have installed that might release the door, so I can manually open it, it'd be great, but the way the broken door slams to the floor when I pull the release makes me think the spring is involved. Our garage is pretty completely filled with storage, so trying to move things out of the way on the front without being able to open the door is going to be a chore in itself, so it doesn't hurt to ask.

@Clancy & @Pedro: Thanks for getting me pointed in the right direction. Guess I have some workspace clearing and torsion spring replacement studying to do.Thanks!

Old 03-23-19, 10:49 AM
Received 9 Votes on 9 Posts
If anybody knows of any security somethings the previous owners may have installed that might release the door
Door is VERY heavy and could very well be why it's difficult to lift. Based on your descriptions I would suggest you hire a professional to repair your door springs it's not something for a novice and can get you seriously injured by not knowing what your doing.

Old 03-23-19, 11:15 AM
Received 57 Votes on 52 Posts
"Door is VERY heavy and could very well be why it's difficult to lift. Based on your descriptions I would suggest you hire a professional to repair your door springs it's not something for a novice and can get you seriously injured by not knowing what your doing."

Exactly right. A properly installed door, with properly adjusted springs operates with relative ease, even by hand. Consequently people don't realize how much heavy they are, but, depending on the size and type of door, a standard residential garage door could weight anywhere from 100 lbs. to 400 lbs. And trying to force it up could damage the door, or worse, a person. This is a DIY site, but sometimes, like this, it pays to get an expert.

Old 03-23-19, 11:27 AM
Thanks, Pedro & Ron. I've read some instructions and have watched a very thorough series of videos, so it looks pretty straightforward for someone who DIYs everything, like myself and many others who make this site their first stop when they have a new project to do.

(I put a lot of extra info in my descriptions because exchanges based on too little can waste time)

Last edited by TryAgain; 03-23-19 at 12:10 PM.
Old 03-24-19, 10:40 AM
Group Moderator
Received 29 Votes on 23 Posts
Be sure to review everything you can find on the dangers of working with garage door torsion springs. Although it's DIY, it is still one of the more dangerous projects around the house.