how to prevent water from getting under garage wood cabinets

Old 04-15-19, 08:05 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
how to prevent water from getting under garage wood cabinets

owners of the house put the old kitchen cabinets in the garage back in the 70s and its nice storage. i never have any issues with the snow/rain every melting that far over to the cabinets to worry about damage.

i cleaned out a corner that hasnt been cleaned in forever and there was oil/kitty litter there a very long time and its a spot about 2 ft x 3 ft thats really bad with the oil residue. . it's under a shelf thats at waist height but under the shelf is open. but it is also right next to where the cabinets start. meaning anything i do with power washer is gonna get under those cabinets with certainty.

there are other areas in the center of the garage (oil spots) i can probably quickly squeege away when i use my power washer.

but no way immediately next to the cabinets. so is there any kind of home made dam that wouldnt cost to much to build

other than trying to use many many cans of brake clean i cant think of what else to do.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-19, 09:23 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
maybe a metal shield to prevent the majority of the water from going under the cabinets ??
Caulking the bottom of the cabinet to slab would prevent water from going under but it would not be able to take a direct hit from the pressure washer.

Old 04-15-19, 10:47 AM
Best way to clean oil stains on a garage floor is put gasoline on the oil, top that with floor dry and kind of grind it in with something like your foot. Wait a bit then sweep it up. May have to do it a couple times.

Old 04-16-19, 02:21 AM
Received 9 Votes on 9 Posts
I use cove base molding in my garage to keep it from under my work bench, it works well. https://duckduckgo.com/?q=cove+base+...-1&ia=products

Old 04-16-19, 03:41 AM
Received 28 Votes on 24 Posts
Don't power spray areas of the floor where you can't spray in a direction away from the cabinets. Do the area around the cabinets by hand. After spraying, use a squeegee if the slope of the floor brings the water back toward the cabinets.

Old 04-16-19, 06:18 AM
the cove base may work and looks under 20 for some of it. just i know what water likes to do. id have to put on the back concrete wall so doesnt go in back of cabinets too. is there a caulk that sticks to concrete block and floor?

the gas method above is probably gonna be tried at some point but i just wonder how safe it is with my car parked next to it? my immediate plan is let it dry out a few weeks since i totally scraped all the crap up and its been covered for years. then ill see the true amount of work that needs done.

Old 04-18-19, 05:53 AM
Gas on a floor acts like The Blob, you only need a little bit and after it sets a while just sweep it up.

Old 04-18-19, 07:57 AM
Received 23 Votes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by luckydriver
but no way immediately next to the cabinets. so is there any kind of home made dam that wouldnt cost to much to build
You can block water from creeping across a concrete floor by drawing a line with a wide soft wax candle.

For cleaning oil stains, the "soft touch" method that I found works is soap/detergent and water. Soap allows the oil to dissolve into water. The "trick" is getting the soap-water ratio perfect- basically, you want soap bubbles, which have the perfect ratio of water to soap for dissolving oil.
My simple way to get the soap-water ratio right is to put soap and water into a milk-foamer or a french-press coffee maker (basically a glass beaker with a wire mesh "foamer") and agitate the plunger. This creates a fine-foam of soap with the perfect soap-water ratio. And it conveniently pours out the spout of the coffee maker or milk foamer.

The "hard" method is "why didn't I think of that" obvious- oven cleaner.
The strong base sodium-hydroxide removes dried oil and grease.
You don't use acid on concrete, you have to be careful with salt on concrete, but you CAN use a base on concrete.

Old 10-11-19, 07:43 AM
so i had the power washer out and did the garage. it did get off the very deep cat litter encrusted oil stuff. but it made the stain much bigger. i think what happened is i disturbed the oil and so it came out from under the shelving and actually near where the car sits normally.

also even in the middle of the garage where another car had leaked something and it was even getting moldy, that stain itself may be gone but it got bigger. so i guess id call this a partial success. i never tried gas or dawn on the big mess before i did this but maybe now that its down to this. ill try someday. not the end of the world. people expect oil stains in the garage.

i also decided to stop changing my oil. ive done it all my life. now its time to sit back and let someone else. also rotating my own tires. they do it free at my shop if you just dont mind waiting