Expansion foam removal

Old 05-18-19, 08:03 PM
M
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Expansion foam removal

I recently purchased a property and the previous owner used expansion foam as a way to prevent hurricane storm surge flooding.

The property is close to the coast and it did flood into the garage about two inches during a storm in 2013, so when hurricane Irma approached south Florida in 2017 the previous owner sprayed foam around the bottom half of the garage side door, as well as placed sand bags. The foam is still there today after I bought it.

Outside:

Inside:

The door is a ventilated aluminum door.

Other than using a putty knife and remove all this mechanically, any ideas how to clean this off?

Old 05-18-19, 08:11 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Wire wheel or one of those course roto paint strippers in a drill or a rust and paint stripping disk in a grinder.

This is why there should be a 30 day waiting period and background check before you are allowed to buy spray foam.

Norm201 voted this post useful.
Old 05-19-19, 02:32 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I agree with X's last paragraph!!!
I don't know why some folks go hog wild with spray foam I don't know if it's possible to remove it all but between scraping, wire wheel and/or sanding and painting you should be able to get it acceptable. It won't be an easy or fun job

Old 05-19-19, 05:40 AM
M
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
"This is why there should be a 30 day waiting period and b"ackground check before you are allowed to buy spray foam."

So true, I don't look forward to it.

I have a rental property I bought in 2015 where the previous owner, as an attempt to keep ants out, spray foamed all his electrical receptacle boxes along the exterior walls. That I didn't find out until after I took possession and needed to trace wiring and found out nothing could be traced since all boxes are "packed solid". Took me a LONG TIME and a lot of cursing to clean all that off.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: